Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Voice Recognition Software

Quote Originally Posted by rollin' man View Post
    my old hp has a pentium 4ht. ht or hyperthreading is really intels first duel core processor. naturaul speaking 11.5 works super with p4ht 3.0 and 4mb ram. i bought this computer for $15 at yardsale minus harddrive. i stuck in an antique 40gb ide that i wanted to get photos off. have a 500gb sata i'm going to stick in but have to wait for an extra set of hands.

point is - do not be oversold. a pentium 4 with 4mb will run NS 11.5.

FOUND OUT THE DIFFERANCE OF $6 BOOM MIC AND $59 NOISE CANCELATION MIC IS $53! donnie
    I have been trying voice recognition for 30 years. Yes you can get “something” with a Pentium but it’s not functional. Voice recognition would work on a commodore 64, just not very well.

In all the trials I was never able to make one sentence error free never mind a paragraph until DNS 10 and a new microphage and 2 GB Ram.

Voice recognition software did not work well for me until the cheap RAM and faster (Multi core) processors.

Btw, Hyper-threading requires not only that the operating system support multiple processors, but also that it be specifically optimized for HTT, and Intel recommends disabling HTT when using operating systems that have not been optimized for this chip feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking (the program does not know the word "Dragon" on its own so you have to say the whole phrase) is more accurate than the program built into Windows and is, unfortunately, the only other game in town, but it still is the bane of my writing existence. It crashes Word on me at least daily, and technical support is disgustingly useless. Writing anything takes me eons more than it should, and I often forget what it was I tried to say before it got mangled. I have no more vitriol for anyone other than the bastards who thought installing a chest strap as part of a van seatbelt was an extraneous expense. I would support awarding the Nobel to anyone who can design a better program.

This unedited (and I have pretty good diction):

Dragon NaturallySpeaking (the program does not know the word drive and on some sleep up to single phrase) is more accurate than the program built into Windows and is, unfortunately, the only other game in town, but it still is the bane of my writing existence. It crashes Word on the at least daily, and technical support is disgusting these. Writing anything takes me eons more than it should, and I often forgot what it was. I tried to say before, manual. I have no mortgage. All were anyone other than the bastards who thought installing a chest strap as part of the Van she felt was an extraneous expense. I would support wording the Novell to anyone who can design a better program.

And editing takes a finger or at least another hour filled with countless occasions of "spell that" and "delete 'him.'"

And rumor has it that the Mac version is even worse.
    Thank you for posting this, cracked me up and made me feel like thank god, I'm not the only one. Dragon has produced some bizarre sentences for me. The correcting was maddening. I posted on my experience a couple of years ago and actually that's when some one here on CC mentioned that VR that came with my Windows OS. I tried it and thought it worked great. Ironically and wonderully, I haven't had my hands go so bad I needed VR for at least a couple years now or maybe it's less, I suck at telling time.

My wrath for Dragon has had me screaming, cussing, pounding on things and nearly throwing my laptop out the window. When I really can't use my hands to type VR has been better than nothing but still so difficult that I cut way way down on my correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    I have been trying voice recognition for 30 years. Yes you can get “something” with a Pentium but it’s not functional. Voice recognition would work on a commodore 64, just not very well.

In all the trials I was never able to make one sentence error free never mind a paragraph until DNS 10 and a new microphage and 2 GB Ram.

Voice recognition software did not work well for me until the cheap RAM and faster (Multi core) processors.

Btw, Hyper-threading requires not only that the operating system support multiple processors, but also that it be specifically optimized for HTT, and Intel recommends disabling HTT when using operating systems that have not been optimized for this chip feature.
    I am not insinuating that Dragon naturally speaking 11.5 will work on any P4 computer. But you don't have to have all the bells and whistles to get the job done. It also helps if your not running multiple background programs when using. I rid my cpu's of any bloatware. donnie

Blog Entries
    Odd thing is I read where I-phone and Android phones both have VR capabilities. The person writing claimed they were pretty good. If so, I wonder why DNS working with much more computer firepower isn't better?
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

There is a Dragon version for medical professionals. I am surprised you do not know.

Blog Entries
    Version 12 still sucks. See http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=195738.

And'spell that' doesn't work.

I am a mac user and I have been using the default voice recognition software on the mac itself. I find that it works well but you have to manipulate the settings in order for the program to accurately capture your voice and dictation. Once it does, it seems to work very well for me. As far as Dragon Dictation software such as Naturally Speaking...Dragon is the industry leader in dictation software. My bets would be to stick with them until a substantial competitor comes up.

I've always used DNS...

... I use a standing desktop microphone TELEX M-500. Works just fine... can even have
    "light" background music. No Bob Seger rocken' out the old tunes!

PEACE