Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Voice Recognition Software

Best Voice Recognition Software

I need to have this kind of software installed ...any tips? Preferences? Freebies???LOL I am not proud and you never know who is looking...I have to have this technology to complete an important project.

Thanks.

Mary
    1FineSpineRN

Ahoy-Hoy, Mary!

Windows 7 and Windows Vista comes with built in speech recognition (freebie). Otherwise, the only game in town is Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Mary, I have to agree with PN: Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the best voice recognition software, hands down. I'm an attorney and I rely exclusively on DNS 11.5 professional legal on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The preferred version sells for about $100 and performs about the same as the professional version. You do not need to pay the extra $500 for the professional version if extra features like a specialized legal or medical vocabulary and the ability to program your own voice commands isn't something you absolutely need.
    Good luck!
    -Josh

Thank you both! I am also thinking about changing computer technology. Maybe to Mac. Lyme does funky things to a body. My brain moves faster than my fingers can, and there is this blasted brace now..when I wear it..heh heh....Can I use that Dragon with Mac Book or Ipad?

PN, regardless of the advancement of my technological abilities, I still make it a habit of kicking my printer...
    1FineSpineRN

I tried using Dragon for Mac many years ago. Total fail. I think you may find this person's recent experience somewhat helpful. http://www.salon.com/2012/02/15/when...ility_to_type/

Quote Originally Posted by eulogy96 View Post
    Mary, I have to agree with PN: Dragon NaturallySpeaking is the best voice recognition software, hands down. I'm an attorney and I rely exclusively on DNS 11.5 professional legal on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. The preferred version sells for about $100 and performs about the same as the professional version. You do not need to pay the extra $500 for the professional version if extra features like a specialized legal or medical vocabulary and the ability to program your own voice commands isn't something you absolutely need.
    Good luck!
    -Josh
    Ditto on this. I was thinking of 11.5 pro (I run a site for attorneys and deal with many legal terms) and glad I found someone to validate my potential desire.

I got the one up from the bottom tier - the second tier. It works better than I thought. The microphone that comes with it looks nice but is medicore. Get a good USB based microphone and you'll be happy and in business. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking (the program does not know the word "Dragon" on its own so you have to say the whole phrase) is more accurate than the program built into Windows and is, unfortunately, the only other game in town, but it still is the bane of my writing existence. It crashes Word on me at least daily, and technical support is disgustingly useless. Writing anything takes me eons more than it should, and I often forget what it was I tried to say before it got mangled. I have no more vitriol for anyone other than the bastards who thought installing a chest strap as part of a van seatbelt was an extraneous expense. I would support awarding the Nobel to anyone who can design a better program.

This unedited (and I have pretty good diction):

Dragon NaturallySpeaking (the program does not know the word drive and on some sleep up to single phrase) is more accurate than the program built into Windows and is, unfortunately, the only other game in town, but it still is the bane of my writing existence. It crashes Word on the at least daily, and technical support is disgusting these. Writing anything takes me eons more than it should, and I often forgot what it was. I tried to say before, manual. I have no mortgage. All were anyone other than the bastards who thought installing a chest strap as part of the Van she felt was an extraneous expense. I would support wording the Novell to anyone who can design a better program.

And editing takes a finger or at least another hour filled with countless occasions of "spell that" and "delete 'him.'"

And rumor has it that the Mac version is even worse.

i happened to see Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.0 for $31.99 on amazon.com while looking for other things. 11.5 is the newest version. That price is tempting.

What kind of microphone do you use, Random? I'm sure my standard gooseneck mic wouldn't be good enough, considering background noise here.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

@Adam-I use NaturallySpeaking 11.5 and find it to be very user-friendly. I'm an RN and it seems to pick up my vocabulary very well. Even without having the medical version. I also live by a four-lane highway and my computer is right beside a window. I use a desktop Buddy Desktop Mic 7G without too much interference.

This is why I still use the old, obsolete DragonDictate. It's discrete speech, so you have to talk a bit like a robot, but so much more accurate than continuous speech like NaturallySpeaking. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the newer versions of Windows, so I'm still using XP and keep a backup computer at the ready! I did hear that DragonDictate is included in the Professional versions of NaturallySpeaking, but I'm not sure if it's the fully usable version or just there for the scripting features.

I hope that something better comes along. Why can't they offer a discrete speech product again?