Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Trade In?

Car Trade In?

I want to trade my car in but it is the 1st car I have had since my accident so I have scratched it uk pretty bad with wheel chair on the door, especially the inside panel. Also what about hand controls and spinner knob holder?

Will this make it harder to trade?

wont make it hard...scratches will take away value cause they will have to buff/fix to resell.....hand controls and spinner knobs come out...try to sell it on your own..youll get more $$...dealerships never give you what u can get selling it on your own
    - Rolling Thru Life -

No it shouldn't be hard to trade in. I bought a brand new 2008 nissan altima and since I had a new chair to break down and hadn't perfected my technique, I scratched my car up bad. Eighteen months later I traded my 2008 in for a new car. I'm sure they order a brand new panel where your handcontrols were, and the next person who buys your car will never know they were there. What car you looking to buy, I'm also looking to trade mine in for another car.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    No it shouldn't be hard to trade in. I bought a brand new 2008 nissan altima and since I had a new chair to break down and hadn't perfected my technique, I scratched my car up bad. Eighteen months later I traded my 2008 in for a new car. I'm sure they order a brand new panel where your handcontrols were, and the next person who buys your car will never know they were there. What car you looking to buy, I'm also looking to trade mine in for another car.
    I have an 07 Altima and they are trying to get rid of 2011 and 2012 since a new body style is coming out. I am trying to get a 2011 or 12 and then in a year or2 get a slightly used 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    I have an 07 Altima and they are trying to get rid of 2011 and 2012 since a new body style is coming out. I am trying to get a 2011 or 12 and then in a year or2 get a slightly used 2013
    The nissans are great huh. I know they have a new style coming out, I'm waiting to look at one and will probably get one. But I'm also looking at the Camaros but not sure that car is quad friendly. When I traded my 08 in, I seen it on the car lot with a price of 14K and I seen the scratches were still there so they didn't fix them but I'm sure it sold.

I traded my 03 bmw for a new 11 bmw 2 days before xmas. Like you, the driver's doorpanel was nicked up a bit and I had a few scratches on the doorjam from leaning my chair over and taking the outer wheel off. The dealership knocked a little off the price that they were giving me but since the used car market is so good now for cars the get good gas mileage they gave me just a few hundred dollars less than the book value.

Good luck!
    Matt
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

How does the hand control process work? Do u need to get them out and get them put in the new car by the mobility dealer?

How does the hand control process work? Do u need to get them out and get them put in the new car by the mobility dealer?
    In the past I got someone like my dad or brother to remove my handcontrols from my cars before I traded. I would already have an appointment set-up with a mobility dealer before I traded so that I could trade for the new car then take it in the next day and have my handcontrols installed. However on my 2011 bmw the style handcontrols that I had used for 18 years would not work in the new car, so I had to get new controls. I talked with both my car dealership and mobility dealer which happen to only be like 3 to 4 miles from one another and they worked out the details of installing the new handcontrols. The new controls were just under $2000 but bmw mobility offers mobility assistance which paid for the new controls. Most other car manufactures have some sort of mobility assistance program, you just need to do a little research.

Check out these previous threads regarding handcontrols.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=174596
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=180971
    Last edited by stumpybushman; 06-15-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    T4,5,6 Incomplete

Thanks for the replies. If I do trade it will pretty much be the same car/body so the same handcontrols would work fine.

Thanks for the replies. If I do trade it will pretty much be the same car/body so the same handcontrols would work fine.
    The reason I had to change controls was the dash panel below the steering column is not removeable on the 2011 bmw 3 series like it was on my 2003 bmw 3 series. So because of this my old controls would have had to be mounted lower in the new car and my legs are to long so the controls would have gotten in the way of me getting in and out. I could have let the mobility dealer cut the dash panel but I didn't want to do that so that it would look right when I trade it in again in a few years.

Just check out everything real good and if all seems good for you then go for it.

Good luck!
    Matt
    T4,5,6 Incomplete