Thread: (Good) skin examination device?

(Good) skin examination device?

Can someone recommend a device for a person without help to perform effective, accurate skin checks for redness and pressure sores?

I have tried several brands of mirrors with handles, including some that twist around, but, not being a contortionist, I am not flexible enough to use them to get a complete view.

Some additional options:

If your bed is against the wall, put mirror tiles on the wall behind the bed.

We have 30"X14" 1/4" plywood boards that we mounted 2 mirror tiles on, with a cut-out handle. This can fairly easily be propped against a side rail on a hospital bed, or held by a caregiver so you can see your skin, or reflect off of with a hand held mirror held in front of you with the large mirror board in the back.

Many of my clients have a caregiver take digital photos with a camera or phone and look at these instead of using a mirror.

(KLD)

Sorry, I still do not quite understand how to do skin checks (when there is no caregiver). Do you have a picture of the setup? Are there specific kinds/brands of mirror that one could hold oneself and that would be clear enough to see when reflected twice like that?

I definitely need a good self-check method soon.

I was thinking some kind of remote camera or extensible fiber optic camera?

What specifically is there that definitely works?

You could use a computer video camera plugged into a laptop.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

A small skin inspection mirror can be used like this. Some mirrors will strap onto your hand.

If you prop a larger mirror, or use a wall mounted mirror like this behind the bed, you can learn to reflect the smaller mirror off that mirror to see your backside.

We use these a lot:

As above, a number of my clients are now taking photos of themselves with their tablet computer (iPad, etc.) or cell phone and viewing these instead.

(KLD)

I use my phone to take a video. Its too hard to try and get a good picture so I take a video moving it all around to see different areas.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Thanks for these suggestions. I have tried that exact model of mirror before and found it had poor/blurry image quality. I.e. it was a low quality mirror. And even though those pictures make it look easy to self-check oneself using a mirror, when I tried it just didn't work. (I can use it for things like feet, but not buttocks where pressure sores would be). Maybe I am too fat or stiff, I don't know, I just could not get a clear view. And I do not understand the arrangement of these wall-mounted mirror tiles you mention a picture would be helpful.

People who use a tablet, they just hold the tablet themselves in their hands? When I tried this I just could not seem to get a good picture.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A small skin inspection mirror can be used like this. Some mirrors will strap onto your hand.

If you prop a larger mirror, or use a wall mounted mirror like this behind the bed, you can learn to reflect the smaller mirror off that mirror to see your backside.

We use these a lot:

As above, a number of my clients are now taking photos of themselves with their tablet computer (iPad, etc.) or cell phone and viewing these instead.

(KLD)

Mirror tiles on the wall can work if you put your bed against the wall on one side. We have these plywood boards (1/4") made up with two mirror tiles each and they are available hanging on a hook in each patient room.

Depending on your hand function and strength, you may be able to position these yourself as in the picture below (you can see why I am a nurse and NOT an artist!). You could also look into folding vinyl glassless mirrors (which our therapist often use) like this:

http://www.rosebrand.com/product2491...252c%2bBi-Fold

(KLD)

Thanks for the information here. I used the diagrams and suggestions, and I also found a mirror that worked better for me than those standard ones they sell to people in wheelchairs: the Ullman Devices Inspection Mirror (I got the model HTK-2LT which has lights which are not really useful). It is more configurable and has better optics than the ones I have used, because it is designed for automotive technicians.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 04-05-2013 at 07:50 AM.