Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Istanbul wheelchair travel

Istanbul wheelchair travel

Im currently visiting Istanbul Turkey. The major sights are accessible. easy for manuals, a little difficult, but do-able for power chairs. Due to the historical value of the sights, there is only so much they can do. Whats surprising is that there is only one company that offers a wheelchair van with a lift..there are NO accessible taxis. I created a webpage explaining the sites and information on this company for anyone interested in visiting Istanbul..
    He does airport transfers, or you can book him for half a day(am or pm) or full day to go sightseeing. Here is the link.
    http://www.squidoo.com/wheelchair-travel-in-istanbul
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Thanks for sharing! I have been to Istanbul many times and love the culture and the country. Plus there are many wonderful sites. And I never get over the fact that you can be in Europe and then 15 minutes or less then in Asia!
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

15?..only takes 1 min to cross the bridge...i was in "bebek" yesterday..town right on the bosphorus waterway...where the bridge crosses to asia, still turkey, but asia side...
    - Rolling Thru Life -

It was meant to be funny........
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Can you tell me of a good hotel with a roll in shower? We are making plans now to go and would really appreciate any information you can share on hotels, etc. We would like to be near the Grand Bazaar / Blue Mosque area. So many time a hotel will say they are accessible and they are not. Thank you very much for the information.

Roc21, did you get into the Blue Mosque? It is so cool but few of the guides know about the clean chair available so you can enter and leave your dirty one outside. And yes, any ideas on accessible hotels other than the international chains normally way out near the airports? Oh, and in the Haj Sophia if you go back to the oldest part try looking up until you find the dolphins about 3/4s up the brick walls. They were fishermen before they became Christians and obviously a few workmen back in the 4-500s were backing their bets with some pagan gods/goddesses.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by dmm View Post
    Can you tell me of a good hotel with a roll in shower? We are making plans now to go and would really appreciate any information you can share on hotels, etc. We would like to be near the Grand Bazaar / Blue Mosque area. So many time a hotel will say they are accessible and they are not. Thank you very much for the information.
    SORRY i dont know, i stayed at a private residence outside the city. what u can do, click the link in my signature about istanbul ...contact the van co/driver mentioned in the article..his business card is on there. IM sure he can help you, as well as give you transportation ..also airport transfers..his name is askin. hes a great guy..tell him steve from miami told you
    Last edited by roc21; 07-10-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Roc21, did you get into the Blue Mosque? It is so cool but few of the guides know about the clean chair available so you can enter and leave your dirty one outside. And yes, any ideas on accessible hotels other than the international chains normally way out near the airports? Oh, and in the Haj Sophia if you go back to the oldest part try looking up until you find the dolphins about 3/4s up the brick walls. They were fishermen before they became Christians and obviously a few workmen back in the 4-500s were backing their bets with some pagan gods/goddesses.
    yes i went into the blue mosque..didnt use a guide, but the chairs are right at the door, you cant miss it, plus they tell you to transfer. the link in my sig. about istanbul is all about my trip, the places i went, and the accessibility
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Thank you very much. I will contact him. You have saved me a lot of work looking for someone. We usually like to have a van and driver. It makes it so much easier. All of your information is very helpful also. We are really excited to be going and can't wait to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by dmm View Post
    Thank you very much. I will contact him. You have saved me a lot of work looking for someone. We usually like to have a van and driver. It makes it so much easier. All of your information is very helpful also. We are really excited to be going and can't wait to get there.
    good. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. It was my 1st time there. I was there for 10 days, but my sister-in law is living there for 4 yrs. So if i can help, let me know.
    - Rolling Thru Life -