Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones and quads -summer 2012

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. If I can muster the courage to sign a two year contract to pay $100/mo., I'll probably take the plunge when my current contract ends next month.

Based on reviews and word-of-mouth endorsement, the Apple iPhone 4s is tempting (my brother swears by it, says it's twice the smartphone his Android was) but it's missing a couple features I think I'd want (4G connectivity, file transfer via bluetooth & removable storage). I'll probably go with an Android device of some sort.

I looked into Straighttalk in my area. Unfortunately, if I understand the terminology correctly, their coverage for Android devices is not good here in the southeast ( http://www.straighttalk.com/Coverage ). I like the price, but unless I'm mistaken it's not a good choice around here for anything other than feature phones.

The otterbox looks like a must-have for me if it doesn't hinder my using the phone. And if I get a phone, a mount for my chair would probably be a nice addition. I don't like adding things like that to my chair because they always seem to be in the way when pulling up to the desk or dinner table. Still, if it makes the thing more useful or easier to use, I'll spring for one.

Do any of you use a bluetooth headset with your phone? If so, any suggestions there? I had a bluetooth earpiece for a mobile phone a few years ago, but it was uncomfortable and frankly more trouble than it was worth. Plus, I felt like an idiot wearing it. I did like the added privacy during calls, but I don't spend a lot of time talking on the phone so it's not a must.

Thanks again! I appreciate your input.

Greg, c5/1987
    Tennessee

Hi Greg,

I am a C5-C6 but I have good hand usage. I use a Droid X and use swype for all my writing. The speaker phone works great and is part of the touch screen so is very easy for me to touch and talk. As WTF said, go ahead and get an Otterbox. I got the 3 piece Otterbox which has an impact absorbing cover, then a slip free silicone cover and also an outer case with a belt clip. Without the Otterbox, the phone is very thin and slippery and for me very hard to use. Whichever you select, I hope it works well for you.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Can anyone tell me how you install a SIM card or if you think I'll be able to figure it out?

you slide one of these into a slot on a phone.

it's pretty simple.

I'm a c3c4 quad. I use a Droid Incredible 2 and have no problem. I use a bluetooth to activate the voice commands. It takes a little practice with typing on the keyboard but it gets easier.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    you slide one of these into a slot on a phone.
    it's pretty simple.
    Btw Scott, you have nice fingers for a quad. Love your polish.
    --
    Greg
    from the hills of Tennessee

"At least Grandpa died doing what he loved: bleeding to death." - Megan Amram

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Hi Greg,

I am a C5-C6 but I have good hand usage. I use a Droid X and use swype for all my writing. The speaker phone works great and is part of the touch screen so is very easy for me to touch and talk. As WTF said, go ahead and get an Otterbox.
    ... Whichever you select, I hope it works well for you.

Good luck.
    Thank you Millard. Swype sounds interesting, but I bet it would take some practice to get good at it. I've all but decided to go with an Android device, so I'll give it a try if I do. And the Otterbox too. Thanks again!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I'm a c3c4 quad. I use a Droid Incredible 2 and have no problem. I use a bluetooth to activate the voice commands. It takes a little practice with typing on the keyboard but it gets easier.
    Thanks Hacknsack. I think I'll give the bluetooth route again too.

Best, Greg

Mike Honcho

Save yourself some money the galaxy SII and SIII are almost identical the SIII offers nothing that is worth paying a premium for so when your eligible for a new phone wait for the SII to go on sale for free after rebate or .99 and then buy it.in 2 years there will be a phone that is really worth upgrading to.

Im a c6-7 quad and been using iphone 3 for 3 years now.
    Love the easy typing/smsing. I'll never go back to regular phones.
    As my next phone, i'll pick Android one of the Samsung Galaxys.

Oh and you don't have to go with providers insane 3 year 70+$ a month plans to get a discount on initial phone cost.
    Just buy an unlocked phone from someone like newegg.com and buy a 30$ no data plan if you not gonna use it to surf internet etc. outside your home.

You will save alot of money and will have a good phone.