Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smartphones and quads -summer 2012

Smartphones and quads -summer 2012

Most of the threads dealing with this topic are now a couple years old, so I hope I'm not out of line bringing it up again.

So does the Apple iPhone remain the smartphone choice of most c5 (or thereabout) quads, or have the Android-based phones caught up with Apple as far as usability for those of us with limited mobility?

I am still using a feature phone for calls/SMS but have wanted to jump into the smartphone arena for a year now. Two things have kept me from doing it: 1) the cost and 2) doubts about my ability to use it well enough to warrant the added expense.

My provider is Verizon, which pretty much owns the air waves here in central Tennessee. In this area they have the best coverage by far, and almost everyone I know uses Verizon, so I will probably stick with them until one or both of those factors change.

I suppose I am a typical textbook-case of a c5 complete quad (last stop, Bicepville) if there is such a thing as a typical quad. I wear dorsal splints with typing sticks (pencils with erasers) on both wrists all the time. In addition, when upright in my chair I am pretty good at pecking on a conventional computer keyboard if it is positioned close/high enough, but have difficulty using my feature phone if it is not positioned just so on my lap tray.

Do you folks with similar mobility who use smartphones/tablets also use special mounts for the equipment? I am vaguely familiar with the RAM mounts listed elsewhere here on SCI CareCure. Given my level of functionality, is it a given that I will need a mount to take advantage of the smartphone capabilities?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Greg
    (c5 for 25 yrs, middle TN)

I recently switched to a Galaxy Nexus after using several versions of the iPhone (1st gen, 3G, & 4).

Usability is about equal between platforms, from an accessibility standpoint (my level is C6).

Android offers the ability to change on-screen keyboard types. Swype (www.swype.com) is an awesome option, as you can type w/o lifting a finger. Just draw a path between the letters that connect.

Cost: the major carriers are the most expensive. Figure on $199-299 for a phone + $75-100/mo (minimum) for a 2yr contract. Cost of ownership is typically over $2k for 2yrs.

I've been on AT&T for a long time. My current contract runs out in July. I'm dumping AT&T for Straight Talk (www.straighttalk.com) – $45/mo for everything. The catch is that I'm providing the phone off-contract, thus my upfront cost is higher. I bought the Galaxy Nexus from Google (www.google.com/nexus) for $399, but even so, the lower monthly fee will save me well over $1k over a 2yr period compared to what I'm paying now.

Straight Talk is affiliated with WalMart & uses the big carriers' networks for service. I'll have the same coverage with them.

A mount will probably be helpful. Necessary, probably not, but it'll help avoid drops.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I recently switched to a Galaxy Nexus after using several versions of the iPhone (1st gen, 3G, & 4).

Usability is about equal between platforms, from an accessibility standpoint (my level is C6).

Android offers the ability to change on-screen keyboard types. Swype (www.swype.com) is an awesome option, as you can type w/o lifting a finger. Just draw a path between the letters that connect.

Cost: the major carriers are the most expensive. Figure on $199-299 for a phone + $75-100/mo (minimum) for a 2yr contract. Cost of ownership is typically over $2k for 2yrs.

I've been on AT&T for a long time. My current contract runs out in July. I'm dumping AT&T for Straight Talk (www.straighttalk.com) – $45/mo for everything. The catch is that I'm providing the phone off-contract, thus my upfront cost is higher. I bought the Galaxy Nexus from Google (www.google.com/nexus) for $399, but even so, the lower monthly fee will save me well over $1k over a 2yr period compared to what I'm paying now.

Straight Talk is affiliated with WalMart & uses the big carriers' networks for service. I'll have the same coverage with them.

A mount will probably be helpful. Necessary, probably not, but it'll help avoid drops.

will your phone work with straight talk ive been lookin at that plan as well
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

sure will, as will my wife's iPhone 4, once off-contract.

Scott, my contract with ATT is up now and I've been looking for other providers. I'll check out straighttalk. If I don't switch before you do, report back on how you like it. Thanks.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I have a friend in Crozet who has been w/ them for 3 years & has had no problems. They're worth looking into. Plus, being contract-free, you can ditch them anytime if they suck.

The only other thing I plan on doing is porting my number to Google Voice instead of over to a new carrier, just to avoid the hassles of number porting more than once. GV integrates well w/ Android phones & iPhones.

Hadn't heard of straighttalk before. Not a bad rate if you use data. Looks like you need a GSM phone (SIM card) for straighttalk. A former Verizon phone will not work.

I converted my AT&T plan to AT&T go phone (pre-paid minutes). I can get data if needed but it costs quite a bit. Otherwise air minutes are 10 cents. Just mentioned it because it's another non-contract option that's not officially sanctioned by AT&T for smart phones but works for me. There's not much they can do to stop you from putting your SIM card in an another unlocked phone.

I'm using a Droid- older model that's a touch/typing pad combo. Works okay.

I'm a C5 with no finger movement, and I have a Thunderbolt with Verizon. Love it. The Samsung Galaxy III is coming out soon, and I hope to upgrade.

I use an iphone which I find kind of heavy, but I like it. You would probably benefit from using some sort of mount and maybe encase your phone in an otterbox which is rubber so your phone grips to whatever surface you have it on.