Thread: syrinx in spinal cord

syrinx in spinal cord

I am 69 years old male. six months back in December 2011 I have gone for a MRI for cervical spondylosis. Accidentally a small syrinx at c4-c5 and c5 level is seen.My doctor said that in some elderly people, cysts will be lying dormant and since i have not experienced any symptoms like weakness in limbs , headache or difficulty in swallowing, he has asked me to just ignore it. 1. Is he right?. I never had spinal cord injury also.I am herewith attaching the images for your ready reference.Kindly advise me, if they are not fine, please let me know, i shall again send them. 2.Is it ok to leave it as it is at this age of 69 ?. I am a patient of IHD, for 35 years,prediabetic for 2 years and mild hypothyroidsm just from an year. I am not experiencing any symptoms as six months have passed from first observation of syrinx. I do not know since how long it was there . 3.Will you suggest me some good medicine to dissolve the cyst ? 4.Actually, are there any medicines available in India? I feel personally that i should not meddle with it at this age.already I am 69 years and want to live peacefully at the fag end of my life.Whats your opinion.

Dr. Wise will need to respond but typically you don't do anything to the syrinx unless it is causing signficant new problems. See post from Deepak.
    CWO

As per Dr wise it wont enlare over the time and will not cause any symtoms. if you still feel uneasy, then just go and have MRI

Look for more symptoms . Should they develop tell provider and they will order MRI.
    CWO

As long your physician has made you aware of what to look for and your are keenly aware, I would say you have little to worry about unless the symptoms were to worsen. If your provider felt additional testing were needed (i.e. MRI) they would have ordered it back in December 2011 as it appear to be the date on your films from the best I can see.

If you have good insurance, and feel you need a second opinion and/or MRI now that is certainly your right as a patient. Getting the insurance to cover is yet another issue sometimes
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I am T4/T1 I severed my spine at T4 complete back in June 2008 and became a paraplegic. Exactly 6 months later i had a syrinx and it was starting to make my level climb from T4 so they went in and put a shunt in it. Worked out good and was still T4. But exactly 6 months to the day again i raced into emergency as I had bad nerve pain in my arm and hand which i have never had as i was t4. They got me in and this time they put a shunt in but had in come around to the front of my body around the rib cage as they said just my normal breathing should help drain it away. Unfortunately i might of waited a few days too long and now my left side is T1 and my right is still T4.
    I wouldn't worry about it if it isnt affecting you at all as my surgeon said there is about a 2% chance everytime they go in there that you can end up a lot worse. Just be aware that you have it and if you notice any type of nerve pain or weird things start happening to your body then i would race in and get it checked. But if it has no symptoms leave it alone you don't want something worse to happen. Just be educated enough to race into emergency if things start to change.

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 07-04-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vedanth1942 View Post
    I am 69 years old male. six months back in December 2011 I have gone for a MRI for cervical spondylosis. Accidentally a small syrinx at c4-c5 and c5 level is seen.My doctor said that in some elderly people, cysts will be lying dormant and since i have not experienced any symptoms like weakness in limbs , headache or difficulty in swallowing, he has asked me to just ignore it. 1. Is he right?. I never had spinal cord injury also.I am herewith attaching the images for your ready reference.Kindly advise me, if they are not fine, please let me know, i shall again send them. 2.Is it ok to leave it as it is at this age of 69 ?. I am a patient of IHD, for 35 years,prediabetic for 2 years and mild hypothyroidsm just from an year. I am not experiencing any symptoms as six months have passed from first observation of syrinx. I do not know since how long it was there . 3.Will you suggest me some good medicine to dissolve the cyst ? 4.Actually, are there any medicines available in India? I feel personally that i should not meddle with it at this age.already I am 69 years and want to live peacefully at the fag end of my life.Whats your opinion.
    Leave it alone. There is no medicine that can eliminate a syringomyelic cyst. If you show progressive loss of function, you may need surgery to expose the spinal cord and remove adhesions to restore cerebrospinal fluid flow and collapse the cyst.

Wise.

Dr wise,

Could you please let us know any syringomyelia expert in india who can perform above suggested sugery in india if required ?