Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80's Music

80's Music

I like 80's music very much. Do you? I like songs by Madonna, Modern Talking, Paul Young, Cyn. Lauper, Whitney Houston etc. 80's music is so good compared with music of other decades because all hits are pop, not yet polluted by xxxx music.

I grew up in the 80's, and while I like a multitude of genre's, I love music from my generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheng View Post
    I like 80's music very much. Do you? I like songs by Madonna, Modern Talking, Paul Young, Cyn. Lauper, Whitney Houston etc. 80's music is so good compared with music of other decades because all hits are pop, not yet polluted by xxxx music.
    ...compared to the 60s?

Hmm the 80' SKA music Madness, Specials, the Beat, and yes Durran Durran and boy George.

Early Clash, The Jam, Ramones etc... Granted most Punk blew up in 76/77 and then mainstream adopted New Wave a la punk lite because they didn't like gobbing. I do believe music got a bit lost in the 80s until the grunge and then the later punk revival focused it.
    And the truth shall set you free.

We didn't like British junkies stabbing American girlfriends, Decaf. I had a stalker freshman yr. college, called and said he was Sid Vicious. All-girl dorm, no cell phones. It was terrifying. This was 78, I knew who Sid was and what he had apparently done. That was a boy nobody mourned imo.

We could have gobbed back if we could overcome the stench. Nancy Spungeon was pretty high when she was boning Sid. I think he smelled bad LOL.

New Wave was awesome. GNR forever.

The funniest thing is Duran Duran videos. They were just so odd!

Let me be clear, I don't care for the Pistols. Malcolm McLaren formed his boy band because he wanted his group of "sexy young assassins," and everyone bought into it hook line and sinker. Then, he fires the one guy who provided 80% of lyrics and musicianship and replace him with a (later) heroin addict. Ugh. The Ramones would have really come into their own if it wasn't for the industry-wide cock blocking by the Pistols. New Wave was a softer, more mainstream, industry/societal acceptable progression of punk rock.
    Last edited by NoDecafPlz; 07-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    And the truth shall set you free.

New Wave was even cooler than I remember. Digging The Talking Heads today. It was listenable. Party-able. feisty educated me last night re Talking Heads I must have been too broke to buy records at that time.

If you had any Pistols memorabilia I was gonna put you on Ignore.

Punk was ppl that got too loaded to play instruments they couldn't play sober. MacLaren's rehearsal room must have stunk to high heaven.

That's why I don't classify Clash and Ramones and Duff McKagen as punk. They played music and punk was noise.

That feels better. The Pistols tainted punk; it was just attitude and noise. Attitude is fine but take a damn shower. J Rotten was disgusting-Vicious was atrocious. I always reckon they had to sink the boat used on God Save the Queen footage when the Pistols were done. Ugh.

Don't get me started on disco LOL. That's how punk got a toehold, disco sucked and ppl got angry! Ppl call gnr punk, Slash is a master musician, always has been. Slash = the anti-punk, except for the attitude.

LOL @ cockblocking the Pistols. If they'd had musical chops they'd have overcome that. Even Ozzy overcame it, when Sharon mailed human crap to an industry board meeting. If you can't tour or play on albums the industry will indeed put you on the street!
    Last edited by betheny; 07-22-2012 at 10:28 AM.

To me, The Who were actual musical punk rockers, I guess. In the 70's...Teenage Wasteland.

Punk had been done already,and done right!

Stil thinking here...MacLaren replaced a musician w/ Vicious, b/c he thought Vicious was sexy? What was MacLaren into, scat? LOL. Maybe necrophilia. It was pretty clear one way or another Sid wouldn't be making it back to Engand alive.