Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Blood and Cathing

Blood and Cathing

Some of the past few times I've cathed, I've had to press a bit harder and I got blood from irritating my urethea, I believe.

Tonight was the worst. I went to cathe, tried putting it in to no avail, but got a lot of blood. I felt warmth in my head as if I were having AD symptoms, but it lessened after a minute or so. I peed in the shower after and I peed a huge blood clot as well as normal urine.

What am I doing to myself?

sounds like you need a cystoscopy :/ i hope you can get this resolved soon. always scary to have blood in the urine. was it bright red or dark red?
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Go make an appointment with your primary care physician or urologist. It sounds like you should seek medical advice. If it is a new problem, it could be varied from a blockage to an infection perhaps. IMO don't delay if you can get in to see your physician.

You asked if you were doing something wrong/what were you doing to yourself... That is a hard question to answer if you are doing the same as usual..... Just be careful and watch for an infection.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Why have you had to press harder, is it because there's more resistance than usual?

I sometimes have to be quite foreceful due to my spincter not wanting to give, and I have had blood on the cath because of that. But it's only ever a tiny bit on the end.

I agree with the others that you need to get it checked.

You shouldn't push hard. It should go in easily. also check for UTI.
    Did you put max amount of lubricating gel? CWO

I think you may have created a false passage in the wall of the urethra. Your urologist can verify this with a cystoscopy and may suggest using a foley catheter for a couple of weeks to allow the false passage to heal. After it has healed, try coude tip catheters. The coude tips can make it easier to pass through the bulbar and prostatic urethra.

We can get a bit relaxed with our cathing techniques from time to time. Searching the internet for an article or two on proper catheterization techniques or reviewing methods with a practitioner may serve as a good refresher.

All the best,
    GJ

oh hon, don't use more pressure if it won't go in, let things relax, a second or two and try again, you can make a false passage that way, and that is never good. My brother in law got that, it took months with an indwelling to heal it. I think they make special catheters with a tip that protects against injuring your urethra.

I hope you have made a urology appointment. this is one time where it is important you see someone about it. are you using soft silicone? the prelubed caths?

Do you do it sitting down or lying down inclined . i do believe the manhood should be held at an angle of 45 so the cath can go in straight. use lots of lub into the manhood and on the cath. all that has been described above is very useful advise Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I think you may have created a false passage in the wall of the urethra. Your urologist can verify this with a cystoscopy and may suggest using a foley catheter for a couple of weeks to allow the false passage to heal. After it has healed, try coude tip catheters. The coude tips can make it easier to pass through the bulbar and prostatic urethra.

We can get a bit relaxed with our cathing techniques from time to time. Searching the internet for an article or two on proper catheterization techniques or reviewing methods with a practitioner may serve as a good refresher.

All the best,
    GJ
    Hi Todd,

I'll go along with GJ on this regarding the coude tipped catheters. When I use coude tipped (especially hydrophilic) catheters, I usually cannot feel them go through the prostate or into bladder.

Take care of yourself man...there is only one Todd!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Smile My Footsteps...

I've been cathing for 4 yrs now as a result of a SCI... one of my last trips to the ER ended in admittance to the hospital... about 3am after dealing with a not so nice ER staff I needed to cath and in my fustration drove the catheter through the wall of the urethra... it was surprising easy to do and did not take that much force... I had a true geyser of blood coming from the catheter as well as all around it, boy was I surprised, and so was my nurse... they paged the urogolist on call (while I held tourniquet pressure) in the meantime I pondered what I may have done and determined along with my nurse that I would certainly need a surgical fix... The urogolist very calmly inserted an indwelling catheter and said I would be fine in 24hrs, he was very surprised this had not happened before with me considering the 4 yr history... I straight cath during the day and use indwelling caths each night so I can sleep... all of this just for anyone's FYI that it may help... after all if I can't help someone who would follow after me what's the point...