Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Blood and Cathing

Take it easy, friend! You survived something that is often lethal. take time to rest, good food, stay hydrated, avoid stress, and get sunshine and laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    I can't believe we're still talking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I've never been happier that you're such a tenacious little shit as I was when I read you were doing better. Keep it up -- you're missed and needed here!
    Hehe. When I couldn't make myself walk again after my injury, I thought it was something to do with my willpower as so many counted on me to override what happened to me and get back to the Todd that walked. I do think I can fully rebound from this, though, as none of my organs took permanent damage. As shitty as I feel sometimes, I did get lucky.

Doctors don't know exactly what caused it either. Just one of those things. The nurse who does home healthcare told me that she could just as easily get Sepsis as I, so I shouldn't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripply View Post
    Take it easy, friend! You survived something that is often lethal. take time to rest, good food, stay hydrated, avoid stress, and get sunshine and laughter.
    Very true!

I didn't even get the vent but I remember just being very tired after my week with a 105 fever before the antibiotics dripping in knocked it back. That tired slowly got better but it took a good 2 months to disappear. Take it easy and milk the attention. Play the Diva...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I didn't even get the vent but I remember just being very tired after my week with a 105 fever before the antibiotics dripping in knocked it back. That tired slowly got better but it took a good 2 months to disappear. Take it easy and milk the attention. Play the Diva...
    You're speaking of your own experience with Sepsis? Yes, the not feeling like my old self is very depressing, but I keep being told and reading that it takes time. I suppose all are right as I can't even open a water bottle right now. I can grip it, but I literally lack the strength to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    You're speaking of your own experience with Sepsis? Yes, the not feeling like my old self is very depressing, but I keep being told and reading that it takes time. I suppose all are right as I can't even open a water bottle right now. I can grip it, but I literally lack the strength to open it.
    It seems I just felt kind of yucky with no fever for 2 days before I woke up one morning with 105 fever. Hit the ER and after blood and urine was sent for a CT. I barely had time to drink any of the contrast before they scanned my kidneys. The hospitalists didn't want to talk about anything but treatment but the junior of my PCP team was on rounds that day. He came in when I was saying no to the CT. Yea, I get the chills so bad with high fevers and they want to send me to the coldest area in a hospital next to the morgue. He mentioned kidneys, sepsis and dying in one sentence. Decided maybe if I could get a blanket and they would get me out of there and not park me in imagining it would be ok... He gave the hospitalist and the transport guy instructions to treat this as sepsis until all tests came back and yes, give her a blanket. I much prefer referring to it as my kidney infection. I did occasionally wake up over the next 5 days and one of my 2 docs always seemed perched in a corner chair doing charts. I remember asking what day it was and what the 2 bags were 'today' dripping in to me. Once my fever broke the junior guy said that I had a kidney infection that had spread into my blood stream. I asked if he meant sepsis and got a yes.

I went home with oral Cipro for another 2 weeks and at a follow up a week later I asked about all my sleeping because we had a Black Sea cruise coming up with long flights. I mean it was another month after the follow up. He said that I would feel tired for another month or 3 and while he would call about the follow up tests; he said to go if the tests were ok. He did say to plan on what was important for me to do and I might want to check out room service a few times. Oh, and I might want to introduce myself to the ship's doctor. We added a few days stay on each end of the cruise in the city we cruised out of and that helped a lot. I didn't miss anything I really wanted to do except one and that was due to a major rainstorm.

Yes, you'll feel tired for awhile so take it easy but do sit up even if it's in bed starting a few days after you get home. That was about 6 years ago. In 20 years that has been my only kidney infection and only bout with sepsis. My pee didn't even look bad.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Yes, you'll feel tired for awhile so take it easy but do sit up even if it's in bed starting a few days after you get home. That was about 6 years ago. In 20 years that has been my only kidney infection and only bout with sepsis. My pee didn't even look bad.
    Freaky! Next to the morgue? I was shocked to discover I was in one room for three weeks because I'd been hallucinating so much, I thought I was in different places.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Freaky! Next to the morgue? I was shocked to discover I was in one room for three weeks because I'd been hallucinating so much, I thought I was in different places.
    No, next to the morgue the coldest place in any hospital is imaging. Hate getting left there without heated blankets.

When I was first injured it was about 10 days before I was moved from the ICU to the neurology wing. Even though I had a nurse and an 18 year old county style hospital nursing aide who was there for more training I was freaking inside. I know part was still drugs from being kept in an induced coma wearing off but I know I was not making much sense when I could spit words out. The nurse understood English but didn't speak it and the aide didn't speak or understand English. That was rare since most nurses are required to be fluent in English. But I felt like I was in a bare morgue. They would come and go and the lights were off except in the hall because they try to avoid patients getting hospital psychosis. I think I finally remembered the word for fear or pain in German and after that one was with me the rest of the night. Just having someone talking quietly to me even in German took the morgue fear away. In the morning I got an idea of why I was so scared. They had removed everything in the room and disinfected it before I was brought down. So I basically was laying on a bed (slab?) with two quiet figures floating in and out. Jay came in late the next few days and slept in a reclining chair until the worst of the drugs left my system and I wasn't having off and on hallucinations at night. Days weren't so bad. The aide who didn't know any English was the best hair braider I have ever met too! It was warm with the sun coming in the windows and she also had long hair. After my attempts to stab my own breakfast she'd help me, wash my hands and face and then brush and braid my hair. She would go back to her small town in southern Bavaria where most of her, aging, patients spoke Bayerisch a dialect of German.

I really don't want to be given knock out drugs again. I got prophonol as part of my cocktail too. Jackson had to be nuts to want that to sleep.

Practice deep breathing a few times a day so the suctioning is total history. And even if not real hungry hit the high protein stuff and sleep as needed. Glad you're home.