Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer Belly Syndrome

Beer Belly Syndrome

This topic has most likely been previously covered, but, here we go again!
    Prior to my injury, T10 and crushed chest, I maintained a trim figure for 58 years. Since the injury, I have developed quite the distended abdomen. Without the benefited of beer!
    I do watch my diet, my choleric consumption has been reduced by at least 2/3s. Exercise is limited due to my paralysis. But I attempt to be as active as possible. Paine has been an issue. There are days when mobility is tough due to generalized discomfort.
    Along with the abdominal distention, postprandial blotting is common. I have found some foods that I can not tolerate.
    What can I due to trim up, as the saying goes, regained my youthful, sexy, figure?
    SW

Blog Entries
    I would bet that it is mostly posture. Try grabbing your chair's downtubes near your knees and pulling yourself forward, straightening your back. When I do this, my parabelly disappears.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

While passive try foot-leg bands and use your arm to pull up and also support i.e. abdominal like spandex ( us women love those spanx.) but shirts with spandex tigt to skin like armor all wtc... helps too ? I know walmart, academy and exercise places have some of these.
    CWO

With an injury at t-10 your lower abs are not functioning and there is little you can do to get rid of the "SCI belly." The muscle atrophies and you are left with a layer of stretchy skin and fat. When you sit, your internal organs sink toward the bottom of your abdomen and push the stretchy wall outward. Certainly you can and should keep the fat layer down by watching your diet but it will not solve much of the problem. As has been suggested, there is some apparel that can take the place of good abs.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Thanks, great advice. I'll keep trying to exercise, watch the diet and look into the spandex undergarment.
    Steve
    "We are fools whether we dance or not - so we might as well dance."
    Japanese proverb

https://www.luvmyundies.com/RipT-Fus...usionbrief.htm

Here is the best fix i have found. Can not recommend these things enough they are really good. Even if you dont have a quad gut the support and extra stability in the chair rocks. Helps keep my pants up with transfering lots also.

Hope helps SteveC

Quote Originally Posted by scurl View Post

Here is the best fix i have found.
    Hope helps SteveC
    They look worth trying, goint to order a pair.
    Thanks for the info.
    SteveW
    "We are fools whether we dance or not - so we might as well dance."
    Japanese proverb

I have the quad belly too. I've just come to terms with it, that no matter what I do or weigh it won't go away. I'm only 115lbs and am all quad belly...it's just a part of the injury and has become the butt of many jokes. To hide it I sometimes wear spanx or an ab binder, but usually just wear flowy shirts that are tight on top but looser around the belly.
    Maggie
    C5/6 incomplete since '99

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by scurl View Post

Here is the best fix i have found. Can not recommend these things enough they are really good. Even if you dont have a quad gut the support and extra stability in the chair rocks. Helps keep my pants up with transfering lots also.

Hope helps SteveC
    Sure, this will help the Buddha-belly, but how do you access your "toolkit" when you need to cath?

In the past, I was able to get rid of some weight and bear belly:

It took a lot of work and I was a lot younger. I go through periods where I get kind of chubby then I won't eat as much for a couple of months and really push myself hard to lose weight. I weighed myself a couple of months ago at 137 lbs. which is down from where I was at my maximum weight of 240 pounds when I was sitting around doing nothing. It's gone up a bit recently sent him on bed rest but here's a good picture of how I looked after I went on a diet and was doing lots of exercise:
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.