Thread: Need help getting insurance

Need help getting insurance

Hi,

I have some questions about getting insurance and I thought you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have cobra insurance right now and it will run out in a year. I'm trying to figure out what to do when it runs out. I am working freelance as an artist and make relatively decent money. I've looked Into. Pcip insurance but They need you to bE without insurance for six months before you qualify. *That sounds ridiculous to me because what if something happens In That time? Does any one have any ideas of what I can do to get insurance In California? Any info would help!thanks!

I'm not certain of California law, but if you're looking into traditional insurance, consider forming an LLC & apply for a group plan.

When I lived in North Carolina, it could be done as a single-member group. I'm in Virginia now & group plans are available for 2 or more members.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I'm not certain of California law, but if you're looking into traditional insurance, consider forming an LLC & apply for a group plan.

When I lived in North Carolina, it could be done as a single-member group. I'm in Virginia now & group plans are available for 2 or more members.
    I was told by my accountant that I can't for a. Company wi just me being the only person. I would need to have employees. Not sure if that's true but where would I find out?

He/she is probably correct, but I'd talk to someone who knows the insurance industry in CA. http://www.daveramsey.com/elp is a safe place to start.

"Employee" can be defined pretty loosely for these purposes. Insurance companies don't care how involved they are, from my experience. It might be a loophole (of sorts) worth looking into. Individual policies w/ a ding like SCI on the health records typically cost a good bit more.

I did the same thing after my cobra ran out I got a hipaa plan, you just cant let your insurance lapse. this web site was heplful. I was paying around $450 for a blue x plan that had a $1500 deductable I think. wsnt great but i think better than going without ins 6 months.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 06-12-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typos galore
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

In Florida and most states the LLC idea is a great one, but as mentioned already you need more than one person. Even if you were to use a payroll company/employee leasing company to try and get around it by paying yourself say $10 a week (just a number) they still will not offer insurance to groups unless it is 3 or more here.

Obviously you want some type of group coverage to avoid pre-existing conditions clauses. You mentioned you were doing freelance. Is there an association of professional group statewide that you can join? Sometimes these groups/associations have a mechanism to over group coverage to their members for medical. They are not aways the best plans in terms of deductibles--but it would be group coverage. (I know the International Medical Association offers something similar) Also I have a friend who is a real estate agent and through the National Real Estate member group he has family coverage for himself, wife, and 2 children. It is true health insurance, but I think the deductible is like $3000 but it does cover hospitals, surgeries, the primary care visits, and prescriptions.

Def agree that the 6 month with no insurance sucks for the government sponsored plan. A lot can happen in 6 months, plus sometimes just the cost of medications/caths can break the bank.

Keep in mind the Cobra laws changed, so I am not sure if your time limit is increased or not. When the Sh$@#*( hit the fan companies were required to over cobra beyond the normal time limit. I just can't recall what the # of months is currently.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Blog Entries
    I was able to get insurance through a local business group even though I am a 1 person sole proprietorship. I know our Growth Association provides a special category allowing artists to get coverage. You might contact your local Chamber of Commerce. Good luck, I know this is a tough problem.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

How about medicate? It that a viable option for somebody like me? Is it something I can just apply for?

You can certainly always apply for MediCal the Medicaid equal in California. I am not certain of their income and asset restrictions though.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

There is a very strict income limit (very low) for Medi-Cal (CA Medicaid) and you cannot own more property than one vehicle and a home, and cannot have more than $2000 in other assets (bank accounts, savings, stocks, bonds, etc., etc.). There is a spend-down program where you can deduct money you are spending on your health/disability care already, but it is pretty steep too.

CA is working hard on setting out their ObamaCare insurance exchange, which should be available later this year. I think this will be your best bet if you don't qualify for either Medicaid or Medicare.

Here is some information about these benefits in CA, including Medi-Cal:

http://ca.db101.org/ca/programs/heal...al/program.htm

That whole site has a lot of excellent information: http://ca.db101.org/

(KLD)