Thread: Lumex or Guardian Shower Bench

Lumex or Guardian Shower Bench

Time for a new shower bench. The choices seem to be Lumex http://www.amazon.com/Lumex-Padded-Commode-Transfer-Bench/dp/B000OSPC24/ref=sr_1_22?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339352059&sr=1-22 or Guardian http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Padde...9352024&sr=1-1

Any experiences or thoughts to share? Thanks.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

The two are amazingly similar, aren't they? The Lumex weighs less than the Guardian by about 4 pounds.

I have moved on to a commode/shower chair, but used a Lumex shower bench (without commode seat-all slatted seat/back design) for many years. I replaced a back slat and a seat slat while I was using it, and believe it or not, the bench is still around (25 years) and has most recently been used by my sister, post first and second hip replacement surgeries.

All the best,
    GJ

My last transfer a invacare, currently have a lumex but my commode is a separate chair. My invacare broke one day reinjuring me, my fault should have replaced it sooner.

I am on my third guardian and have been using them for over ten years now. The only problem with them is the vinyl on the seat breaks at the seams. I patch it until i figure it is time for a new one and then order a replacemtn seat for about $ 65.00

Thanks to all.

I am replacing a Guardian with a tear in the vinyl seat with another Guardian. At $79 dollars for the seat, and $96 for an entire replacement, I elected to just replace it. Will probably repair the seat once I can take it out of service and let it dry out.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.