Thread: botox and spastic sphinter

Unhappy botox and spastic sphinter

I do catherization each 4-6 hours.

I am having problem in catheterization for more than two months now; the catheter cannot pass the sphinter in about half of the times I try to Cath in.

I went to the doctor and gave me muscle relaxing medication; there was a little improvement in cathing but not 100%. The doctor mentioned the botox as another solution.

So I want to ask; can botox be used to solve the problem? And what other options?

Please help; this problem caused me a lot of trouble in the last few months

Here are some thread that have discussed Botox and the sphincter:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=94948

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=129534

Especially see post 14:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...t=74299&page=2

Have you tried using a coude tip catheter, instead of straight catheters? See picture below.

All the best,
    GJ

Flocath catheters are coated with a material that when you add water it becomes ultraslick and helps people with strictures intermittant cath and get past the stricture. coude catheters also are good as they are bent on the end and can help get past the stricture. Flocath also makes an ultraslick and coude catheter. It is a bit of trial and error. If you get catheters just get a few to trial and see what works for you before buying a bunch.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Flocath catheters are coated with a material that when you add water it becomes ultraslick and helps people with strictures intermittant cath and get past the stricture. coude catheters also are good as they are bent on the end and can help get past the stricture. Flocath also makes an ultraslick and coude catheter. It is a bit of trial and error. If you get catheters just get a few to trial and see what works for you before buying a bunch.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck

pbr
    I had to start using coude years ago, shortly after my injury. They stopped working a few years ago and I have had issues. Just started using coude catheters like above. Water pack comes on them, burst it and wait. Thing goes in like a hot knife through butter.

Try the lidocaine gel but you need to have a cysotscope to see if there is scar tissue or obstructions. sometimes the scar tissues has to be removed or cut- called a DVIu. In our experience Botox of the sphincter doesn't help that much and has to be repeated every 3-6 months. If it does work then sometimes the sphincter is so relaxed leaking occurs. Our doctors just don't recommend it much or do it either.
    Tamsulosin 0.4 mg daily(flomax) can also be tried. It can help with relaxation and also prostate enlargement. Have you had urodynamics with video imaging?
    It might show the problem also.
    CWO

Nurse; i dont have stricture. iam having difficulty of getting the catheter pass through the sphicter.. I wonder if there is treatment to this using botox or any other ...

my doctor gave me medicine called "myonal" it is some sort of muscle relaxing; does it help in such cases ; i feel slow improvement