Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Updates of my results after Dr. Lima's procedure

Just wanted to bump this so you didn't think I had kicked the bucket or something.

I haven't made any major improvements this past month but I haven't lost any of one them either. I can still contract my legs, just can't use the contractions for movements yet. Am very excited to get working with my leg braces. I hope this will help improve other muscle groups.

One change I guess would be a weird feeling in my legs. It's not pins and needles. It's like I can feel blood circulating through them or something of that nature. I forgot to mention in my last post that I can feel the muscles contract. I don't have external sensation changes to mention yet.

Tim

Great to hear you're still alive & kicking
    Good luck with those leg braces - go hard out

Sped - how are those braces going? What distance are you walking in them?
    Just being nosey

Sped. What's your story this month. Assuming I can get accepted I would like to try this procedure. Based on what you have reported it sounds like it's better than nothing. It sounds like it gave you more to work with. You can build more with 10 bricks than with 5 right?

How long were your injured before the surgery?

Where you complete?

How much did it cost?

If you already answered these questions can you direct me to the message?

Originally posted by sped:

Just wanted to bump this so you didn't think I had kicked the bucket or something.

I haven't made any major improvements this past month but I haven't lost any of one them either. I can still contract my legs, just can't use the contractions for movements yet. Am very excited to get working with my leg braces. I hope this will help improve other muscle groups.

One change I guess would be a weird feeling in my legs. It's not pins and needles. It's like I can feel blood circulating through them or something of that nature. I forgot to mention in my last post that I can feel the muscles contract. I don't have external sensation changes to mention yet.

Tim

Klj

I'm still waiting for them but when I was in the trial pair it felt great. I have some work to do in my lower lumbar region though but my daily exersices seem to be helping.

I should have put in for the braces as soon as I landed back here in Canada but they'll be ready soon.

Walkanotherday

I was just two years post when I had the surgery. You should be at least this before going through with it.

All the candidates are complete injuries.

It was $55,000 CDN so 35,000 euro.

To everyone else following the thread my contraction seem to be getting stronger in my legs but it is hard to tell at times as everything comes back so suttle, it's not like wakeing up one morning noticeing a change. I don't know if I mentioned it earlier but when I contract the muscles in my legs (the quads) I can feel them, well that sensation has moved to below my knees now (half way down my calves)where it was just to the top of my knees.

If anyone viewed Susan's video when she had her legs over the side of the bed and kicking them out a few inches or so well I can do the same BUT I may be cheating a bit with my hips, nevertheless it's movement I'm not use to. Other than that no significant movements other than contractions.

I am very pleased with the results thus far and now that some Canadian doctors have viewed my new mri they seem to be more willing to help out in my physio. If I had the money I would have gone to the states as you don't have to fight to get proper additional therapy like here.

SLFN

Tim

Well it's been awhile since I've posted as I'm still here in Toronto working on some rehab. The brace walking is coming along very well but can't yet walk the mile. While brace walking my right leg seems to respond very well moving in any direction I wish it to go while the other only responds well about a third of the time.

There is absolutely NO support here as far as trying different therapies such as suspended treadmill which WAS promissed to me prior to arriveing here. I don't know what their problem is and why they don't seem interested in seeing where this may lead. They do see improvements but just don't want to acknowledge them, for instence they see my abdominals working very well so they don't dispute there functional gains but when they feel my quads or hip flexors contract they just say it's the abdominals pulling up on them. I know they're not correct now because as of this past Thursday I noticed I am able to contract my hamstrings. As I lay on a mat with one leg straight and the other bent in such a way that my foot is by my knee I am able to lift the bent leg upwards where you can visually see the muscles contract and move the leg. Anyway I have begged for an EMG while I'm here so they can verify my assumptions as of what the muscles are doing. You'ld think that I wouldn't have to ask for the damn test.

After I'm done here I have a very good program set up for at home with the fes bike, leg braces and some hydro therapy. My therapist at home and myself will also impliment suspended treadmill training as soon as there is some better functional control. Right now I'm working harder than ever not only for myself and my family but so I can one day say I'm standing here today with NO help of our so called best Canadian rehab. If you're wondering what they are doing for me at the moment, not very much. I'm only still here because I can focus better with limited interuptions in my dailey exercise program.

I'll let you know of any other improvements in the future.

Tim Sloggett

sped, thanks so much for posting your experience. Wise.

Sped, Thank you for informing us. It is so helpful. I didn't realized that a person should be 2 yrs post injury before undergoing this surgery. I thought the sooner the better, although from a research point of view I assume he wants to be sure it was the surgery that made the difference in any return that occurs. My son is 6 months post, C4-5complete, with no return at this point.
    thanks, sanadams

Tim

So disappointing that the rehab is not doing all they can do to help you.

You are very determined, keep pushing them!!

The lack of rehab seems to be a factor here in ontario. The rehab facility in Ottawa kinda blows too. The most modern equipment the got is a recumbent bike, and it's not even fes.