Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. McDonald

Are they at the point yet were they are looking for participants?

Have they drawn up a criteria yet?

I am two years post complete T-10 with all spasms and reflexes including tactile erections,
    almost all freaking day.
    I think I would be a good candidate for a trial, the lesser the injury the better the results, ie. no lower motor neuron damage.

things are beginning to look promising for those select few whose injuries are incomplete and white matter based at he low cervical level. Complete paralysis in and around the Lumbosacral spinal cord is untreatable in the long run. Those neurons in this area are a part of the local pattern generator, equaling the complexity of neural pathways promoting conciousness in the brain. Even partial restoration of senseation, sexuality, bowel, etc. is unlikely at the best. No one on this site or any scientist can refute these ugly facts. This is emphasized by the head neurosciencists at Yale. some things will never be solved, at least in the next 100 years.

sherman brayton

I really don't think that low injuries will not heal themselves once the scar is inhibited. The human body is too advanced and can heal itself except for the scar. So keep looking up because you will soon be there also.

David

hope2findacure,

Do you know what levels McDonald has had experience with? Do you know if he plans to publish his results anytime soon?

Thanx

Red 1 Canada,
    The key to getting to the human trials is money. He needs the funding. We donated because we believe in this project. The SCI community needs to pull together on this one. We asked him if he had the money that he needed, when would human trials begin...he indicated he thought he could be ready to start some time in 2004. That's this year! This is what we've all wanted. If he gets the funding then I guess he'll decide what the criteria is.

Brayton,
    You have to start somewhere.

Schmeky,
    I know you are up on the latest research... As I'm sure you're aware, there was a phase I clinical trial done in humans with xenotransplantation, the transplantation of stem cells from embryonic sources of pigs. This publication should be out this spring, or early summer. They are waiting for the last patient that had the procedure to reach the 2 year post surgery mark. All I know is that these were all chronic injuries...I don't know anything else about their injuries, or levels.

It should be noted that he's working on two things in this project:
    1. The delivery method for the cells. The phase I clinical trial was done with a traditional invasive surgery. He is working on delivering the cells in a sort of epidural like injection into the spinal cord above and below the injury...as an outpatient, one day deal.

2. Somatic Nuclear Transfer of your own DNA into embryonic stem cells to replace the xenotransplantation. He's not going to be using pig cells. He said something about getting tissue from your nervous system and taking the nucleus out and putting it into the stem cell. Stem cell lines are available from private sources...as you know the ones approved by President Bush are contaminated by mouse feeder cells and other such problems. This procedure differs from other transplants in that the cells he will be transplanting will be cells that actually belong within the spinal cord.

Most of this we discussed with him in the first conversation, but we feel like we have alot better understanding of it after talking to him a second time.

Thanks for your persistence, Hope. This is awesome. I've followed Dr. McDonalds work for quite some time. I believe in it and him.

Regards,
    Sue

Hope2, I live in Colombia, i´m trying to find out about Dr Mc Donalds work here, so i want to help in everything they need, but nobody says nothing clear about it, can you lead me to someone to talk about it?

Thanks.

Berny.

With all due respect, Schmecky and Brayton, I am heartened by the knowledge that the black opinions you two share are simply quite understandable reflex/coping mechanisms and in no way reflect what is actually going on in SCI research.

In other words, gentlemen, you're full of it.

vgrafen

Dr. Wise, Do you have any infomation on what is going on with this reserch and where we can find more infomation on it. Thanks

vgrafen-

I am tellin' ya that I was told that Lumbosacral sci's that cause complete paralysis may very well be immune to any upcoming therapies. I spoke to the head of neurology at Yale while he was in London last week at a neurotrauma/ rapairing CNS injuries summit of some sort. I do understand that this is only one man's opinion, but he is in the forefront of researching SCI therapies. Believe me, I felt as if I had been punchd in the stomach when he told me this.

sherman brayton