Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dr. McDonald

If anyone does talk to Dr. McDonald ask him if he would come here and tell all of us what his plans are.

PC, I know Dr. McDonald well and talk to him fairly often. I was just astonished to see this topic implying or stating that Dr. McDonald will be doing human embryonic stem cell clinical trial in Columbia within a year or even two.

People should not underestimate the difficulties of producing cloned human embryonic stem cells and doing the preclinical studies that are necessary to justify transplanting such cells into people. It is not a slam dunk. Dr. McDonald must make a cloned human embryonic stem cell line, something that took Dr. W. S. Huang in Korea over two years and over 200 eggs, to get a single stem cell line. Dr. Douglas Melton at Harvard achieved the incredible feat in making 17 stem cell lines from about 200 eggs (this was not cloning, however).

It is true that recent studies have provided new tools and techniques that might make it easier for other laboratories to produce cloned human stem cell eggs. But, I think that people should know that it is likely to take longer than a year or two to do and that $200,000 is not enough to do the job.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 04-11-04 at 05:48 PM.]

Dr.Young,

Then why would he be telling more than one person this year?

I have a lot of faith in Dr.McDonald and I believe him when he says this year not 2!!

bullrider

I really hope it's true that Dr McDonald starts human clinical trials this year - there also other human clinical trials rumoured to be starting in 2004

I have been waiting for a cure for 22 years and there have been times when it seemed it was just round the corner - never has been as it turned out

I hope we're not all getting our hopes up in vain - I think not but sometimes what excites scientists does not excite me!

running, jumping, passionate sex - that's exciting - not standing using a walking frame

Chris 2,
    All I can tell you is that what Dr. McDonald is doing has to be done. This road is a long one, but I believe Dr. McDonald is farther along it than most.

I realize that in all things there's a chance something could go wrong, or unexpected things could happen. That's life...but if we never tried, we'd never know if we would succeed or fail.

I'm thankful Dr. McDonald has kept working all of these years and not given up.
    Dr. McDonald knows how to make certain these cells are safe before transplanting them. I guess we'll just have to wait on the results of that phase I trial that will soon be published.

Dr. Young,
    Dr. McDonald and Linda Schultz have spoken to other individuals as well as my husband about this. We hope to be able to meet Dr. McDonald soon.

[This message was edited by hope2findacure on 04-12-04 at 07:35 AM.]

bullrider,
    COULD YOU E-MAIL ME, I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT DR. MCDONALD. MY E-MAIL IS david99@tds.net

I understand that the work is picking up speed and that a new schedule and budget is in the works. Sounds like they are at second base and needs a little help from all of us to score a run.

EAA and Hope, I think highly of Dr. McDonald. He is indeed very dedicated and is going in the right direction to move stem cell therapies into clinical trial. Please keep letting us know. I have written to him to come to this site. Wise.

I HAVE RAISED $1,000.00 SINCE LAST WEEK, AND I'M SURE THE DONATIONS WILL KEEP COMMING. LETS KEEP IT ROLLING!!!!!

Dr. Young,
    Thanks so much for your word of support. It means alot. Your opinion is very highly regarded by my husband and I, as well as the other members of the CC forum.
    If we get anymore information we will share. I know everyone would welcome Dr. McDonald to the site.

David H,
    That's great news. Keep up the good work. Every dollar counts.