Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Dr. McDonald

Bruno,
    Yeah, I think the reflex arc starts in the area of T12. There's been much discussion on this website about injuries below the reflex arc. You could research the effects of an injury in this area on previous posts.

One thing we should all be clear on, is that when we donate to the NTT Project we are not donating to a "human trial". A human trial depends on the success of the NTT Project. More money is needed to complete the project. The two objectives of the project are:
    1. Establish an across the skin injection of regenerative cells directly into the spinal cord to avoid the trauma of an invasive surgical procedure.
    2. Create regenerative cells that belong in your spinal cord by somatic nuclear transfer of your own DNA into the nucleus of an embryonic stem cell.

If he gets the funds in a timely manner, and the research goes as he expects it will, the plan is to very quickly move on into human trials.

Hi PC, you are correct about the fact that the monies for Dr. McDonald's NTT program are not for the funding of a FDA trial in the USA, however we were told by Dr. McDonald that he did plan to have a limited human trial late 2004/ early 2005 in Columbia. This trial will follow the primate testing and is intended to prove-up the safety and show the recovery of his ESC injection treatment. Dr. McDonald hopes that, after this trial in Columbia, he could bring the trial to the U.S. with approval of the FDA.

Hi, this is kind of a translation of an article from www.eltiempo.com in Colombia in march 25.
    Sorry,the translation is not the best, and the article doesn´t say to much, but is good to know that is official.

Colombia will be next year a latin american potency in cell regeneration.

An advanced laboratory wih will be started in Bogota since June could treat, besides others, spinal cord injuries.

Would be the first experimental lab in Latin America for therapeutic cell regeneration, with the same thecnology that is used in the center wich Dr Jhon McDonlad developes Christopher Reeve´s Rehab, In Missouri, USA.

Last Year Dr McDonald came to Colombia to participate in the first "Cell regeneration for SCI" simposium, organized by Colsanitas.
    Since Then, his concern is to rehabilitate similar cases like Reeve´s in Colombia.

McDonald himself, the Colombian scientific Enrique Osorio and Charlie Hall, with others, were working the idea to create this lab.

Actuallly they are buying the equipment and thecnology, and there are colombian doctors receving training in the St Louis rehabilitation center in Missouri, where McDonald runs the SCI program.

The Biomedical cience has experimented in order to obtain cells wich, with the right genetic information, could reproduce and eventually became tissue and even organs.

Officialy they assure that tehy are far to realize Assisted Human Reproduction, but they prove that when stem cells are cultivated, those reproduces the major of their tissues.

McDonald advance consist in experimented the regeneration of stem cells wich losses in consecuence of SCI, but from cells extracted from parts of the body.

Once the Colombian potencial were confirmed, cells cultivaiation in Medellin verified, the idea was transpantate all that experience and advanced medical thecnology form Missouri to Colombia, under the direction of Jhon McDonald.

The schedule shows that in june the lab will operate with the participation of important organizations.

Berny.

One thing I don't get. This trial in Colombia is to find an alternative delivery method for the cells other than the laminectomy. I understand that this is important, but will it affect the outcome of the treatment? Will the cells be more effective depending on the way they are inserted or is this a matter of being less invasive? If its only a matter of being less invasive, why not try it with the laminectomy right now and save everyone a lot of time. If it proves useful, then they could start concentrating on perfecting it using less invasive methods. I'd rather have a procedure done on me now that causes me tons of pain and leaves a giant scar than having to wait another year.

Sergio

Sergio you obviously dont know how bad pain can be.

I most certainly do!

Dr. McDonald still needs $200,000 for his project!!

Please make this happen!!

The sooner he gets the money the sooner we WALK!!!!

Originally posted by bullrider:

If we would all contribute a little amount of money, we would be further ahead in this game.

Dr.McDonald is doing great things in Columbia, and his results will be seen this summer.

So PLEASE, Donate to his project!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the real deal and the best thing going for SCI.

bullrider,
    My daughter, C-7, 20 mos post-injury, has been on the activity-based recovery program since June, 03 at The Rehabilitation Institute that is affiliated with Washington University's.Patti is Dr. Ruvinskaya'(a pediatric neurophysiatrist on Dr. John McDonald's team) patient.I am really impressed by Dr. Ruvinskaya. Every few months she thoroughly examines my daughter's progress during lengthy office visits. The optimism of that doctor for a future cure is almost as strong as Dr. Young's. She also gives us faith that Patti's intensive rehabilitation is working. And my daughter has made pretty significant progress already. During the last office visit (April 04), I asked Mrs. Linda Schultz about progress in Dr. McDonald's work. She told me no more than is already written in this thread. She said that they got very encouraging results in the laboratory study and the treatment will be ready for clinical trials in about two years. In my opinion, Dr. McDonald's work to find a cure is the most advanced in the US. I want to financially support their research as far as my budget will let me. Last February, I sent my donation to Barns Jewish Hospital, Spinal Cord Injury Research Fund.

Hallina,
    You are right...the staff at Washington University have a completely different attitude than the doctors that we have encountered here in Texas regarding SCI.I believe it's the difference of believing in a future therapy that will get you out of the wheelchair... My husband is seeing Dr. Sadowsky and we have learned so much about his injury that we never knew since he first went there at the beginning of March, over 2 years post injury.
    Just a reminder, when you send in donations, specify that it is for Dr. McDonald's NTT Project as that's the only way that he will be able to use your donation for his project.