Thread: Leg paralysis severity ?

Question Leg paralysis severity ?

I'm new on here

I had a discectomy in March. My L4-L5 large herniation had weakened my left leg so much that I had to walk with a cane Pre-op !

2 months post op I am now barely able to walk and I can't drive. My right leg has continued to weaken and is now as weak as my left one. I have atrophy in my legs and my calves feel like jelly. My right leg has started to shake significantly at the knee when I walk. When i try to raise my right leg it shakes like a loose water hose making it impossible to drive.

Had an EMG and the Neurologist suspects that it could come from an other neurological disorder. I don't have any significant loss of sensation though.

Since I can't drive and am only able to walk short distances with a cane I was wondering what's the severity of my paralysis ?

Thanks
    Discectomy in March 2012 to decompress a large L4/L5 herniation.

Quote Originally Posted by mstikes View Post
    I'm new on here

I had a discectomy in March. My L4-L5 large herniation had weakened my left leg so much that I had to walk with a cane Pre-op !

2 months post op I am now barely able to walk and I can't drive. My right leg has continued to weaken and is now as weak as my left one. I have atrophy in my legs and my calves feel like jelly. My right leg has started to shake significantly at the knee when I walk. When i try to raise my right leg it shakes like a loose water hose making it impossible to drive.

Had an EMG and the Neurologist suspects that it could come from an other neurological disorder. I don't have any significant loss of sensation though.

Since I can't drive and am only able to walk short distances with a cane I was wondering what's the severity of my paralysis ?

Thanks
    Did you receive rehab following your surgery to provide you with strengthening exercises to help with returning to normal activities? Did the surgeon describe how the spinal cord was damaged from the pressure on your cord prior to the surgery?

I guess I have more questions than answers at this point. Surgery more often than not will not help restore your function but it is to prevent it from worsening. I am not sure what you were told pre and post-operation and what kind of follow-up your received following the surgery in terms of rehab?

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did you receive rehab following your surgery to provide you with strengthening exercises to help with returning to normal activities? Did the surgeon describe how the spinal cord was damaged from the pressure on your cord prior to the surgery?
    I started PT a few weeks go but my physio stopped after a couple of sessions when he realised how severe my leg weakness was and that my right leg was shaking when I put any weight on it.
    He said that I have to wait for further results for neurological tests to be able to continue. It could take a long time.
    Discectomy in March 2012 to decompress a large L4/L5 herniation.

Mike, it sounds to me like you need to have a very thorough workup to rule out the "other neurological disorders" your neurologist suspects. Your symptoms might be directly related to the surgery, or the surgery might have exacerbated or uncovered additional problems - there's just no way of knowing what's going on without additional studies. You need PT in order to maximize your potential for recovery from surgery, but I think your therapist wants to know exactly what he's dealing with (the big picture) before he designs a program for you.

I urge you to return to your neurologist with the express intention of finding out precisely what's going on - sometimes complete answers can't be found, but doing the appropriate tests is the only way to rule anything out or in. After your neurologist has done his/her work and expressed a professional opinion, get a second opinion. Then you will have more information to share with your PT.

Best wishes to you, and welcome to Care Cure.

mstikes
    I would also return to the surgeon who did your surgery if you have post-op weakness/decline. Your issues could be related to a fusion that failed or further problems with your spinal cord. A post-op MRI may be in order to check it out.

pbr