Thread: Zero Entry Pool

Zero Entry Pool

I’ve got a question regarding zero entry pools. I’m new to the handicapped world & am still trying to figure some things out. Took the kids up to the YMCA to sign up for a summer membership. Sitting there in my chair I inquired about the availability of some sort of hoist or lift so that I would be able to use the pool too. The nice lady at the desk grabbed the aquatics director who told me that they had none such equipment & weren’t required to because they had a zero entry pool. I told the guy “that’s great but if I can’t walk what good is it” He just kind of looked at me & reiterated again that they are not required to have a lift or hoist because of the zero entry pool. No huge deal for me as I was joining to give the kids some summer fun, but it got me thinking I’m sure at some point it’s going to get mighty hot up on the pool deck & I’m going to want to cool off.

Looks to me like the only way in or out would be to use some sort of wheeled shower chair & launch me down the ramp like a boat. Obviously my power chair is not up to the task. I suppose that I could use my Quickie TI and ride down into the pool but I know that it is not a good idea to submerge the wheels. I am not yet at the point of needing a wheeled shower chair so I do not have one available. I’m not really worried about getting in as I can wheel to the edge and just fall in but I do wonder how I would get out. Any suggestions??

The zero depth pools I've been around have some hospital style wheelchairs that are used just for getting you in and out of the water. We will be doing that this afternoon in fact.....transfer from powerchair to pool wheelchair, go down the ramp until you can exit from chair. Suggest the Y get some chairs for this purpose or get one off Craigslist and donate to your Y. Don't let them get off that easy, they gave kind of a BS answer.

Don't use your Quickie.

Interesting.

does anyone know if a pool is required to provide an aquatic chair for access to a zero entry pool?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Interesting.

does anyone know if a pool is required to provide an aquatic chair for access to a zero entry pool?
    They are "encouraged" to do so:

Sloped Entries

Sloped entries must comply with ADAAG accessible route provisions (36 inch minimum width, maximum 1:12 or 8.33% slope), except that the surface does not need to be slip resistant. The slope may be designed as zero grade beach or ramp access. With either design, the maximum slope permitted is 1:12 (8.33%).

In most cases, it is not appropriate to submerge personal wheelchairs and mobility devices in water. Some have batteries, motors, and electrical systems that can be damaged or contaminate the pool. Facilities that use sloped entries are encouraged to provide an aquatic wheelchair designed for access into the water. Persons transfer to the aquatic wheelchair and access the water using it, leaving their personal mobility device on the deck. Operators and facility managers may need to consider storage options for personal mobility devices if deck space is limited.

illlustration of sloped entry ramp

Submerged Depth
    Sloped entries must extend to a depth between 24 inches minimum and 30 inches maximum below the stationary water level. This depth is necessary for individuals using the sloped entry to become buoyant. Where the sloped entry has a running slope greater than 1:20 (5%), a landing at both the top and bottom of the ramp is required. At least one landing must be located between 24 and 30 inches below the stationary water level. Landings must be a minimum of 36 inches in width and 60 inches in length. The sloped entry may be a maximum of 30 feet at 1:12 (8.33%) slope before an intermediate landing is required. Adding a solid wall on the side closest to the water can enhance safety.

Handrails
    Sloped entries must have handrails on both sides regardless of the slope. Handrail extensions are required at the top landing but not at the bottom. The clear width between handrails must be between 33 and 38 inches. The handrail height must be between 34 and 38 inches to the top of the gripping surface. This provision does not require the handrails to be below the stationary water level, which could be considered an underwater obstruction. No minimum width is required between handrails provided on sloped entries that serve wave action pools, leisure rivers, sand bottom pools, and other pools where people can enter only in one place. Handrails are required to comply with ADAAG provisions (diameter, non-rotating, and height).
    http://www.access-board.gov/recreation/guides/pools.htm

zero entry pool

FInd some old chairs that still roll and use to go up and down the ramp. You probably their first disabled person they have dealt with.

I love the pool with ramps down in to them. I can not see myself getting on a hoist or lift to get in to one. I hate all eyes on me kind of feeling that the lift or hoist brings. In the past when I've gone in to the pools with ramps I just roll in to a level that is comfortable getting out of my chair and then someone would pull my chair back out of the water so my wheels weren't sitting in it. When I was ready to get out then they just brought my chair to me. I personally prefer this type of pool over the lift/hoist thing.
    Using your Ti-lite chair or the pools hospital style chair is a good option. Unfortunately there will never be a perfect option for us in my opinion. My friends used the new hoist at a hotel in PA. It took forever for it to swing out over the water and then lower down in to the pool. It's just not something I would prefer to use but I'm glad they are at least starting to offer some sort of options for our people. Good luck to you on finding a good option for yourself to cool off this summer.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

MODERATORS: This thread has nothing to do with housing or home design.

Perhaps Brian is correct, but indirectly it does relate to housing and home design based on pool design/access questions and comments perhaps?
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.