Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When exactly do you know when you've gotten on with life

I know the feeling. I am 5 years into this stuff and back at work part time. But I still struggle it seems everyday. I keep telling myself things like this should all be easy but when you are in constant pain it seems to engulf you. By the end of every day I just want to lay down and die but the pain never stops and the ringing in my ears keeps me awake. Working has helped because it forces me to act normal and do my job. But even so when my shift ends I head home and lay down. I guess you learn to live with it but it seems to be very tough road. I got about 4 hours sleep last night. So yay it sucks. I have been taking hydrocone that does seem to give a bit of relief.

I got on with life very quickly but I have realized lately that I got on with life because I go to n with my kids life. They needed me to be driving and going to their sporting events. They needed me to show them there was a world outside of this small town and to see me volunteering and workingand to know not to let anything stop you.
    Lately I have been realizing that I may crash and burn when they are grown. For a little while anyway. It's a bit scary.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I got on with life the second I awoke from a 10 day coma.
    What else is there to do?
    I'd say most people here have gotten on with life, at least here on the "exercise" forum - this is the only part of the site I'm interested in unless I'm having some wierd health issue.
    How can you not get on with life? You can't stop the clock - it's "getting on" regardless of what you or anyone else does.
    I just went down the grand canyon and was it I or the guy who is legally blind who were unhappy? Fuck no! It was some person who was finding fault with everything but was totally AB but evidently with some crossed wires. The dude going blind (tunnel vision, no periferal (SP?)....) smiled so much we told him he was going to sunburn his teeth!

"Don't feel sorry for youself - only assholes do that"
    - Huraki Murakami

I think all of us are kicking ass, good job everyone! - Steve.

I am still improving so that is something to be hopeful about and I am 3.5 years post fusion and the injury itself is 5 years old. I had a least 2 years that were horrible beyond words. So you do move forward even if it is at a snails pace.

Well, howdy neighbor!!!

The clinic sounds like great fun, thank you! However, skiing would pull my arms right off of my body!!! I have an able armed friend they may be interested though. I'll PM you and pass the info to her.

My getting on with life sounds a lot like yours... keeping up with the family and kids, but I'm not complaining. My frustrations come from a project I was working on before my injury that I haven't been able to get back to. One of these days!

In the meantime, hope everyone is gettin it on!!!
    T

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    @Charlotte
    If you live near Nashville there is a waterski clinic in 2 weeks. Another in July and August. PM me if you want info.
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I got on with life very quickly but I have realized lately that I got on with life because I go to n with my kids life. They needed me to be driving and going to their sporting events. They needed me to show them there was a world outside of this small town and to see me volunteering and workingand to know not to let anything stop you.
    Lately I have been realizing that I may crash and burn when they are grown. For a little while anyway. It's a bit scary.
    I hear you. The moment all my children were out of the house my life changed. The last three year have not been very nice. So I am really looking forward to get my small one home the next four years. Maybe it happened because he left too early and too young, he was only 13 and I didn'expect it and it happened very suddenly.

It is not that I miss him, I see him often and he is coming home in the weekends and maybe a evening or two every week. But tomorrow is his last day living on the school and he is coming back on Tuesday. But the school has been good for him and he has changed a lot to the better.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I got on with life the second I awoke from a 10 day coma.
    What else is there to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    Well, howdy neighbor!!!

The clinic sounds like great fun, thank you! However, skiing would pull my arms right off of my body!!!
    If it's anything like the water skiing we do here then you don't have to hold on to the rope with your hands so there is no chance of this happening. Go give it a try you might be surprised.

Here is a picture from 2 weeks ago, my first time to water ski in 3 years, I kept the rope in the block and had outriggers on the ski. As you can see, you don't have to hold on to the rope. You don't have to hold on at all really, we've got some high level quads that come out and water ski.
    Most everything I say is

I had a funny thought. What are we going to do to keep ourselves entertianed once there is a cure. It is a bit of a sick thought but it is funny. I have also told myseld to live in the moment because each moment seems to be struggle you might as well just live in the and it is just another day. These thoughts may help others survive this journey.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post

If it's anything like the water skiing we do here then you don't have to hold on to the rope with your hands so there is no chance of this happening. Go give it a try you might be surprised.

Here is a picture from 2 weeks ago, my first time to water ski in 3 years, I kept the rope in the block and had outriggers on the ski. As you can see, you don't have to hold on to the rope. You don't have to hold on at all really, we've got some high level quads that come out and water ski.

Woo hoooo, that looks fun, Texas! I see, you're held in by the squeeze of the seat and force ...pretty cool!

Does the bumping bother you?

I have trouble with vibration in the car, and lately taking the Quantum through the yard to the garden has been torture ...bumpity, bump, bump! It sets off an earthquake from my chest down. Otherwise, with a little duct tape under my butt, I'd be good on the jet ski behind you... zoom! I grew up on the water with boats and toys - love it!

Great picture! Thanks for sharing!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by stevegalliazzo View Post
    I had a funny thought. What are we going to do to keep ourselves entertianed once there is a cure. It is a bit of a sick thought but it is funny. I have also told myseld to live in the moment because each moment seems to be struggle you might as well just live in the and it is just another day. These thoughts may help others survive this journey.
    Every single day of my childhood life, my Father asked me, "T, you know what you've got in life?" And, before I could answer, he'd say, "right now!" I would mouth the words as he said them...right now! I've seen this many times and think of his words everyday.

Keep living it up in your moment, Steve, it all we have, able or not!

T

— Marianne Williamson