Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karolinska - Damage repair in CNS using micro-surgery and stem cell technology

Karolinska - Damage repair in CNS using micro-surgery and stem cell technology

Damage repair in CNS using micro-surgery and stem cell technology

http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=40350&l=en

Mikael A. Svensson

Neurosurgery

Our project aims developing new techniques to treat injuries or diseases of the CNS. There are already several examples of reconstructive neurosurgery intended to recover neurological function. Cervical spinal cord injury with root avulsion can, for example, to some extent be repaired by means of peripheral nerve graft implanted in the spinal cord. Difficult to treat tremor in Parkinson's disease is another example that can be successfully treated with deep brain electrodes. Another example is vascular surgery with bypass or stent technology that aims to improve blood flow to the brain and thereby reduce the risk of stroke.
    Our group has in an experimental environment developed the idea of repairing damaged spinal cord by bridging the injured area with peripheral nerve graft. We have shown that axons can grow over the injured area through the graft. With the help of neurophysiology, we have shown that the regeneration establishes contact between the cortex and muscle in the lower extremities after three months. These results are now the basis for a clinical trial which will be initiated in 2012 in cooperation with, among other, The Miami Project. The above examples of microsurgical techniques with peripheral nerve graft may thus to some extent be used to restore neurological function. As a rule, however, cell death, especially dead neurons and oligodendroglia are major obstacles to the return of neurological deficits. Stem cell research in the neuroscience field has changed our view of the possibility of replacing dead cells in the nervous system.
    Our group has spent many years studying human stem/ progenitor cells from adult patients' brains and found that these cells can be grown, multiplied and differentiated into mature neurons in cell cultures. We have also developed experimental stem cell models in which we have shown, for example, results from a genetically modified strain of rats, in which the existing stem cells in the CNS express the green fluorescent protein GFP. We then rescheduled these so-called "green stem cells for the hypoglossal nerve in the brain stem in genetically related sibling rats that did not express GFP. These cells have been shown to have good survival in this model. They also differentiate to a great extent to new neurons that integrate the host animal's nervous system with the formation of new synapses and axonal outgrowth. These transplantation techniques are currently being further developed with new treatment options for patients affected by for example spinal cord injury. In summary, our group focuses on research in the repair of the damaged nervous system with micro-surgical techniques in combination with cell therapy.

http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=40350&l=en

clinical trial, in 2012 ?

tell us more please

Looks good

Sounds great...but alot of things do Guess we'll see in '12.

This refers to the same thread I saw a couple of weeks ago, Implant for spinal cord (Karolinska institute, Sweden) http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=186016.
    It really sounds interesting. I have seen comments on it in Swedish news broadcasts in TV, and I (need to, want to) believe it will really happen. They will apply for clinical trials to start at the end of 2012. I will look for news and post it here when I find any.

Christin

Hi Christin.

- That would be great.
    Så på forhånd tak.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Christin L View Post
    This refers to the same thread I saw a couple of weeks ago, Implant for spinal cord (Karolinska institute, Sweden) http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=186016.
    It really sounds interesting. I have seen comments on it in Swedish news broadcasts in TV, and I (need to, want to) believe it will really happen. They will apply for clinical trials to start at the end of 2012. I will look for news and post it here when I find any.

Christin
    Thank you Christin, we needed someone that can keep an eye on this.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Just a short update on this topic. The team at Karolinska are still working on animals, and though they aim at clinical trials on humans, it will not be as soon as this fall if I understand it correctly. They will start with complete thoracic injuries when they start.

If I read or hear more about it, I will give you an update.

/Christin

Quote Originally Posted by Christin L View Post
    Just a short update on this topic. The team at Karolinska are still working on animals, and though they aim at clinical trials on humans, it will not be as soon as this fall if I understand it correctly. They will start with complete thoracic injuries when they start.

If I read or hear more about it, I will give you an update.

/Christin
    Thank you for giving us future updates on the product for complete acute thoracic spinal cord injury.