Thread: Has anyone had success getting a local gym to add accessible equipment?

Has anyone had success getting a local gym to add accessible equipment?

I'm trying to get my local Gold's Gym to add a krankcycle so I can return to the gym. I've sent them a few emails with no response. I'm going to go up there one of these days and talk with the management but I need a good argument, and maybe some numbers to prove it will be profitable.

Have any of you been successful doing this, and what did you say to the people you spoke with?

Not sure how much luck you'll have, I think I'm the only crip at my local gym. I just go there to do weight training, there's plenty of machines to use if you can transfer. I'm getting a basketball chair to get a decent cardio workout, if you havn't tried basketball/rugby I highly recommend it, it's such a rush!
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Ive thought about basketball, my city has a team. I've never been very good at sports though. I could barely make a basket when I could walk lol

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFallDown View Post
    I'm trying to get my local Gold's Gym to add a krankcycle so I can return to the gym. I've sent them a few emails with no response. I'm going to go up there one of these days and talk with the management but I need a good argument, and maybe some numbers to prove it will be profitable.

Have any of you been successful doing this, and what did you say to the people you spoke with?

I would suggest going there san d personally speak with them. It's all economics with them. With limited space they have to make the most with what they have.

The Krankcycle is not just for disabled people. With an aging population and more aggressive rec. sports out there; many people want to crosstrain or rehab from surgery's that precludes them from using a foot powered exercize machine.

Go on Krankcycles site and get the info there. They may also assist you in getting one put in the gym.

I thought Gold's was promoting that they would go the extra mile for the vet's coming home. Ask, if this is just talk or do they really support the what they say. Many of them will need the benefit of an ergometer.

Mainly I would stress that the worst thing that will come of this is they are going to make money by having it there. For the cost, it is a no brainer to have one.

I agree with the above that you may want to try getting into sports. There is more to baskeball than making a basket. Are you doing hills or even ramps? Do them going forward and backwards if possible. That'll put ya in shape quicker than any stinkin' Krankcycle lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I thought Gold's was promoting that they would go the extra mile for the vet's coming home.
    The sad part is I live right next to the largest military base in the world and there isn't a single piece of equipment that cater's to people in wheelchairs or even those that just want to do upper body rehab.

We got my Dad's gym to put the straps back on the pedals of one of the recumbent bikes. You know, the straps that help keep your feet from falling off?

It took 10 months.

Victory.

Have you tried the YMCA, the one in SF has machines that are wheelchair accessible plus a changing room for people in chairs (it has a padded bench that is 4x8 that is awesome for changing your clothes on).

Smile Timing is everything...

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFallDown View Post

I went to a gym that was opening up a branch in our town. They were taking memberships before the building was even built-so there was just a trailer on the lot. I went in and had to deal with a sales type but the pressed to get the name of a person who might be a decision maker. With that I went to a different facility armed with a copy of the governments 15, 000 tax credit for making gym facility accessible. There is a website that has the gym recommendations but honestly, just putting the upper body equipment on the perimeter so that is not buried in the middle of the gym is a no -cost easy thing to do, appealing for veterans, older people etc was part of the pitch. Asking them to make the jacuzzi out of block and at wheelchair seat height actually eliminates the need of a "lift" to get in for most people. They did put a lift into one pool and a spot for one in the floor into the other pool. Timing, $incentive, appeal to broader customer base, low cost solutions on much (ie planning, use of space). One roll-in shower.

Yes, it is done!!!
    Best,
    Engineermom2