Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

I am really surprised they left this link/post on their fb page..warning: offensive material.

http://www.recapthis.com/post/281370...-dont-know-how

But I have to admit This was funny:

"Turns out nowhere in LA is wheelchair accessible. They’re constantly trying to jump curbs and stairs."

Yeah..that was my one pet peeve, that Mia went to such great effort to transfer out of her chair onto another one to get up a set of stair at a non ADA compliant nail salon! Now come on guys..how many of you would do that ..in the most accessible part of the world LA!?

Apparently there was alot more of that in later episodes I have yet to see..I wonder what point they are trying to make with that??
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 07-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    I am really surprised they left this link/post on their fb page..warning: offensive material.

"Turns out nowhere in LA is wheelchair accessible. They’re constantly trying to jump curbs and stairs."

Yeah..that was my one pet peeve, that Mia went to such great effort to transfer out of her chair onto another one to get up a set of stair at a non ADA compliant nail salon! Now come on guys..how many of you would do that ..in the most accessible part of the world LA!?

Apparently there was alot more of that in later episodes I have yet to see..I wonder what point hey are trying to make with that??
    I haven't watched much of the season, but I did see that and thought it was stupid. Yikes, that review was harsh and yet funny too.

Wow... I'm thick skinned and don't care if people aren't PC, and that was seriously offensive.

I'm really curious what you guys thought about the hig school reunion ep. My 10 year is coming up, and I have to admit I'm embarrassed to be in a wheelchair. I was diagnosed with my genetic disorder in high school, so some people know about it. I don't have any pictures on facebook showing my chair, only one where you can see my forearm crutches (its my roommates photo actually, I'm tagged but it's a cell photo and not the clearest so I didn't bother untagging.) I don't talk about my health on facebook (kinda shocked at the detail that some do! I have high school classmates and work contacts on my list.)

thinking about it more though and talking with a friend, I think it's more about how I'm not where I wanted to be in life by now. I wanted to be in my medical residency by 10 years, not with an unfinished bachelors still. And the wheelchair is the reminder of how much my health has held me back in the last 10 years.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I thought that review was funny, lol.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Yikes, that review was harsh and yet funny too.
    I thought it was pretty funny. I think this was the most telling part, reflecting what someone who knows nothing about disability (ie, a really large number of people) thinks:

Angela asks if Tiphany is going to say she’s in a wheelchair. NOTE TO EVERYONE: IF YOU ARE IN A WHEELCHAIR YOU HAVE TO SAY SO UP FRONT. No one (NO ONE) like surprises. Especially ones involving legs and a lack thereof.

^not fair. later he does say that revealing it after a couple of emails back and forth makes sense, which I thought was good advice for those of you that use online dating proofiles.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Apparently there was alot more of that in later episodes I have yet to see..I wonder what point they are trying to make with that??
    That review was disgusting. No intelligence, no insight and pure name-calling meanness. It sounds like some one who grew up on the internet, the kind of people who say these same kinds of things on Youtube comments. What an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    That review was disgusting. No intelligence, no insight and pure name-calling meanness. It sounds like some one who grew up on the internet, the kind of people who say these same kinds of things on Youtube comments. What an asshole.
    Yes, some people live to criticize..a la "The Dirty.com" mentality. People who are nothing with such low self esteem they feel better to insult others..especially woman with derogatory names, ageism, lookism, and comparisons...etc..all the while,they need to look in a mirror.

HOWEVER, his point I quoted was actually very insightful..he nailed it with his sarcasm here "Turns out nowhere in LA is wheelchair accessible. They’re constantly trying to jump curbs and stairs."

Why do you think they don't use the ramps or elevators? Or accept assitance to car with cake..or film show themselves struggling..i.e "watch 45 minutes of trying to get on a wet suit"?
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Yes, some people live to criticize..a la "The Dirty.com" mentality. People who are nothing with such low self esteem they feel better to insult others..especially woman with derogatory names, ageism, lookism, and comparisons...etc..all the while,they need to look in a mirror.

HOWEVER, his point I quoted was actually very insightful..he nailed it with his sarcasm here "Turns out nowhere in LA is wheelchair accessible. They’re constantly trying to jump curbs and stairs."

Why do you think they don't use the ramps or elevators? Or accept assitance to car with cake..or film show themselves struggling..i.e "watch 45 minutes of trying to get on a wet suit"?
    I thought they did pretty much the same things I would, including carrying the cake. I generally don't accept help unless it's from a friend. Otherwise I wonder if it's a help-the-wheelchair-guy thing. The way they do things on the show seems natural and familar to me. Okay, there are exceptions but I have no problem showing the work it took to get the wetsuit on. That's something most people who don't use chairs or have experience with disability don't know about or get to see. They see someone using a wheelchair and think, that's all there is to it. I'm glad they showed that even the "little things" can be not so little.

I don't like the women's bling'ed out wheelchairs but since I polished all the parts of my D's Locks I guess I'm going a bit that way myself. My ony problem so far with representation of disability on the show has been all the money. Almost every person I know with a disability struggles constantly with money. These women have some very nice new cars and beautiful homes and can afford to hire swim coaches and buy clothes and shoes and fancy cakes. People with disabilities is a diverse group and certainly some folks are doing as well as these women but that's very rarely what I see. My last thought though is that there's no way they could be on this show, letting us see their lives and make everyone perfectly happy. I'll admit I'm jealous of some of what they have and it could make me nitpicky but I am very happy people using chairs are actually on television. I can go a very long time and not see even one other chair user in my daily life. I'm always 'the guy'. It'd be nice to have some peers. I envy them that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I can go a very long time and not see even one other chair user in my daily life. I'm always 'the guy'. It'd be nice to have some peers. I envy them that :-)
    Adaptive sports. Get involved in a sports program, and you'll be spending time with other people with disabilities. It's amazing what you can learn hanging around other gimps.