Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I haven't seen the show, but thank god we have the Times. That's some seriously intelligent and informed writing.
    I agree that it was a well-written and thoughtful review. I just checked out the reviewer's bio, he has a daughter with a serious health issue (Rett syndrome), which informs his perspective.

OK, I am going to disagree with most peoples praise of the show. There were times I found myself absolutely wincing. First of all it is far too "body beautiful" centered, which makes it not much different than reality shows in general that lack any sort of totally normal looking person, but that is certainly not my biggest gripe. When the quad said she needed 24/7 "nursing care" I started to loose it. She is not ill, she is disabled, and she needs help getting dressed, bathed, whatever. She is in a mega-expensive blinged out chair (as they all are) and could push just fine, so the old "they must need help with everything" mantra was just affirmed for millions of viewers who do not know otherwise. While it is all very cute and athletic that one of them bounced down a couple of stairs in some sort of frontward suicidal leap, a lot of us can't do anything like that. My concern about this level of "see, I can do anything!!!" sort of defeats the purpose of people being asked to understand that access is important, that ramps provide equality, and so on. On a personal note Auti spending all of her time in what felt like a perpetual wheelie I found annoying as hell, and had I been in the same room with her I would have been sorely tempted to grab her front casters and push them towards the floor. We get it, you can do a wheelie! Yay for you, but really, don't you think you take it a bit far and are essentially a giant show-off? Then, of course there was talk of how broke the quad is, although they all seem to have endless wardrobes of clothes appropriate for high end clubs (or hooking) and at least two of them drive cars that are top of the line convertibles. Doesn't really feel to me like their that desperate on the financial front. And what the hell was up with Auti, the woman who refuses to just sit still and can't resist doing endless spins and wheelies, being picked up and put on her partners back to go to the toilet? I can practically hear America thinking "but wait, all she ever talks about is how able she is and then she gets picked up and put on the toilet?" This woman can clearly do transfers, so I have no idea what grandstanding that was about. So, between the vapid "LA beautiful people" insistence, the lack of most of them making any attempt to hold down a real job, the forced conversations that felt contrived. I mean really, break up with your boyfriend so all of America can witness your pain, his pain. I know that is a hallmark of reality television, where one shares things with complete strangers, things that provide a certain level of false voyeurism, but it felt tacky to me. I am sure most of you will disagree with me, which is fine, but I had seriously hoped for better, and right now some young disabled girl is all excited about wearing 10 inch spiked heels shoes that come to deadly points in the toe area because of this show. Heel sores, shortened heel tendons, pressure sores, all of it, just to be like a push girl. I also thought if I heard the "if you can't stand up, stand out" phrase one more time I was going to barf. Not a bad phrase, at least not until it is repeated every ten minutes.

Very thoughtful Eileen. I agree with much. The "nursing 24/7" comment brought a shared look of surprise from my daughter and I when we heard that....not even PCA but, "nursing care."

Well, we'll see what the next episode brings......

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    OK, I am going to disagree with most peoples praise of the show. There were times I found myself absolutely wincing. First of all it is far too "body beautiful" centered, which makes it not much different than reality shows in general that lack any sort of totally normal looking person, but that is certainly not my biggest gripe. When the quad said she needed 24/7 "nursing care" I started to loose it. She is not ill, she is disabled, and she needs help getting dressed, bathed, whatever. She is in a mega-expensive blinged out chair (as they all are) and could push just fine, so the old "they must need help with everything" mantra was just affirmed for millions of viewers who do not know otherwise. While it is all very cute and athletic that one of them bounced down a couple of stairs in some sort of frontward suicidal leap, a lot of us can't do anything like that. My concern about this level of "see, I can do anything!!!" sort of defeats the purpose of people being asked to understand that access is important, that ramps provide equality, and so on. On a personal note Auti spending all of her time in what felt like a perpetual wheelie I found annoying as hell, and had I been in the same room with her I would have been sorely tempted to grab her front casters and push them towards the floor. We get it, you can do a wheelie! Yay for you, but really, don't you think you take it a bit far and are essentially a giant show-off? Then, of course there was talk of how broke the quad is, although they all seem to have endless wardrobes of clothes appropriate for high end clubs (or hooking) and at least two of them drive cars that are top of the line convertibles. Doesn't really feel to me like their that desperate on the financial front. And what the hell was up with Auti, the woman who refuses to just sit still and can't resist doing endless spins and wheelies, being picked up and put on her partners back to go to the toilet? I can practically hear America thinking "but wait, all she ever talks about is how able she is and then she gets picked up and put on the toilet?" This woman can clearly do transfers, so I have no idea what grandstanding that was about. So, between the vapid "LA beautiful people" insistence, the lack of most of them making any attempt to hold down a real job, the forced conversations that felt contrived. I mean really, break up with your boyfriend so all of America can witness your pain, his pain. I know that is a hallmark of reality television, where one shares things with complete strangers, things that provide a certain level of false voyeurism, but it felt tacky to me. I am sure most of you will disagree with me, which is fine, but I had seriously hoped for better, and right now some young disabled girl is all excited about wearing 10 inch spiked heels shoes that come to deadly points in the toe area because of this show. Heel sores, shortened heel tendons, pressure sores, all of it, just to be like a push girl. I also thought if I heard the "if you can't stand up, stand out" phrase one more time I was going to barf. Not a bad phrase, at least not until it is repeated every ten minutes.
    I don't disagree with anything you wrote, Eileen. I think you pretty much nailed it.

The show's wanting for IQ and this group, like, doesn't have enough for me to, you know, like, tune in again. I mean, really!! I'll admit that I enjoyed when Tiphany bent forward while at the gym flaunting her substantial cleavage. It's appreciated, but not enough of a thrill, however, to get me set my DVR.

If you're not on a vent you don't need 24/h care
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Sooooo, my Mobility dude was here today, and he knows these girls. He said they work for Colours. Well, his words were, "they belong to Colours" and have plenty of $$$! He said, they're pushing the Colours chairs, everyone wants them but ins. won't pay because they're so expensive. Colours is hoping the show sales the chair.

I haven't watched yet, but assumed the girls are riding Colours? It's on demand, I'll give it a peek. His comments and this thread has my curiosity!

T
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Charlottes Web View Post
    Sooooo, my Mobility dude was here today, and he knows these girls. He said they work for Colours. Well, his words were, "they belong to Colours" and have plenty of $$$! He said, they're pushing the Colours chairs, everyone wants them but ins. won't pay because they're so expensive. Colours is hoping the show sales the chair.

I haven't watched yet, but assumed the girls are riding Colours? It's on demand, I'll give it a peek. His comments and this thread has my curiosity!

T
    Three of our four starlets are using Colours chairs (yuck!) but I doubt they're earning "plenty of $$$" from endorsements.

I noticed the Colours chairs as well but wasnt surprised, they are a CA based company, these chairs are popular on the west coast. They are also not difficult to get, my son has one, insurance paid for it. Like other chairs, Colours has pros and cons.

personally, because it is so much like other reality shows like real housewives, is why it's so great. the only real difference is the chairs. showing that there really is no difference between disabled and non-disabled women.

i'm sorry if their good looks offend you? i don't consider myself and sort of beauty, but i take with my appearance. i buy clothes on sale, splurge on a necklace or pair of earrings or nail polish when i can. i also drive a sporty car. sorry if i dont look poor. or disabled enough? also after living in one place for so long i have amassed quite the clothing collection. no idea how much i wouldve amassed after living with a famous husband for 10yrs. she also said that they were recently going through a divorce and suddenly she had things like a mortgage to pay for. and at the time was not a model so contextual clues are important here. perhaps they should go for the grody poor look and smell bad. that will do wonders for the disabled image and be great for job interviews!

i once met a guy at wheelchair racing nationals that was always doing a wheelie and spinning around. so i asked why and he said it was because it was fun and couldnt stand sitting still. no idea why others need to cramp on others' joy or assume they are just show off.

re the shoes: if some young girl is wearing high heels to the point of having health problems as a result, this is NOT the fault of television but of poor parenting. there are plenty of women in chairs that wear heels with NO issues. and many women have come to these forums asking about what kinds of shoes can they were. it is not a guaranteed thing that you will have a problem. that will happen with ANY shoes. so if the shoe fits....

tho i do agree with the 24/7 care. it looks like she would benefit from some of the expertise from this site. no idea if they know that such a community is welcome to them but boy i'd love to see their reactions if they read some of these comments. especially auti. never underestimate a girl from the ghetto.

i am kind of laughing. if this is how ppl think of this group of disabled women, what the hell are you thinking of me when you see real housewives of atlanta? i can assure you, not all of america thinks that all black people think there are tigers in south africa. but your mileage may vary
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

E, I dont agree with your comments on the show. I liked how stylish they were, Auti isnt my style but she is interesting. My son is constantly doing wheelies, its part of his pressure relief, and it has taught him balance. He also has learned to go down stairs...frontward and backward. Came in very handy when there was a fire drill at school. I dont think they came across as "having it all" they were working toward their goals. Of course there has to be some drama, it is television.