Page 17 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Ahhh yeah having thick coarse or kinky hair is a hassle! My hair is out of control unless I put tons of products.... When I was bald from chemo it was soooo easy getting ready in the morning .
    This show is a great first "step", I'm sure more shows and hopefully a network that caters to us as individuals will come about

Eta: on YouTube look for "imbonnie", she's great
    yea my hair is super thick and super curly as i am mixed. but still, a hassle! but having more variety in hair styles would be nice but it'd be nicer to maintain on my own. this mohawk is a pain in the ass but super fierce lol

i'll look up imbonnie on youtube! ty lorrie! OH! i also looked up alloy website as you mentioned that in another thread. LOVE the one shouldered/off shoulder tops with long sleeves! those have been tough to find!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

cryptic, have you ever seen http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome ? The process is really easy actually and you can always adapt things to make it easier. Along with the "curly girl method"

I'm not ethnic, but I have naturally wavy/curly hair. I started reading about ethnic hair practices along with the curly girl method, and the tightly curly website (run by a woman who is mixed). I'm finally not fighting my hair anymore. I only wash it once a week, I won't get it wet or will just rinse it during inbetween showers. When I use shampoo, I only do so at the roots. I use a shampoo bar from where I buy home made cold pressed soap http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/ Some weeks I just do conditioner washes. Its a lot easier to take care of my hair now, and its much healthier as well.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    cryptic, have you ever seen http://www.tightlycurly.com/welcome ? The process is really easy actually and you can always adapt things to make it easier. Along with the "curly girl method"

I'm not ethnic, but I have naturally wavy/curly hair. I started reading about ethnic hair practices along with the curly girl method, and the tightly curly website (run by a woman who is mixed). I'm finally not fighting my hair anymore. I only wash it once a week, I won't get it wet or will just rinse it during inbetween showers. When I use shampoo, I only do so at the roots. I use a shampoo bar from where I buy home made cold pressed soap http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/ Some weeks I just do conditioner washes. Its a lot easier to take care of my hair now, and its much healthier as well.
    never seen that site! unfortunately i also have plaque psoriasis which affects my face and scalp (ugh) so my hair needs extra tlc. dandruff shampoo helps my scalp not be... gross but very dry. so i will definitely look at that site to see what she recommends

I have eczema/atopic dermatitis, so for me less is better. Less showers, and most showers I only wash underarms and privates. And use that super gentle natural soap. So washing my hair less fits right in! I also stopped using expensive hypoallergenic moisturizers my dermatologist recommended and just use vegetable oils and butters. I went from steroid ointment twice a day to as needed when itchy (once a week or so).

there are tons of websites that talk about the curly girl method, so you should try googling that too. The basics are the not shampooing regularly (or at all, only doing conditioner washes or baking soda) and quality conditioners. There are lots of subtle variations. I first heard about it on a disability forum where someone was trying it because of the difficulty washing her hair regularly.

you could try googling 'curly girl psoriasis' and see if others have addressed the methods with psoriasis. There are forums out there for this stuff too, so you could also ask if anyone else has experience with the methods while dealing with psoriasis.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 06-18-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I have eczema/atopic dermatitis, so for me less is better. Less showers, and most showers I only wash underarms and privates. And use that super gentle natural soap. So washing my hair less fits right in! I also stopped using expensive hypoallergenic moisturizers my dermatologist recommended and just use vegetable oils and butters. I went from steroid ointment twice a day to as needed when itchy (once a week or so).

there are tons of websites that talk about the curly girl method, so you should try googling that too. The basics are the not shampooing regularly (or at all, only doing conditioner washes or baking soda) and quality conditioners. There are lots of subtle variations. I first heard about it on a disability forum where someone was trying it because of the difficulty washing her hair regularly.

you could try googling 'curly girl psoriasis' and see if others have addressed the methods with psoriasis. There are forums out there for this stuff too, so you could also ask if anyone else has experience with the methods while dealing with psoriasis.
    i looked and the site and went "oh!" yes i am familiar with this way of doing hair. i used to do it when my hair was long and it is NOT quad friendly. from start to finish was 3 hours for me. and that was with my hands cooperating. sometimes i used a pen to do the doodles. tho i didnt call them doodles. this technique is super popular in the black community. the head and shoulders is working to keep psoriasis at a minimum but definitely am getting more arthritis in my fingers. yay for aging! lol

but it is a question worth considering, how do black/mixed race quads deal with their hair on their own?

but back to topic!!!

I wasn't referring to the doodles and stuff, but the washing and such. The most I do is a french braid, and I leave it braided until my next shower. I just put something over it at night if I really care, or smooth the worst fuzz with water the next day. That way I don't really have to do anything again for days at a time. I don't know what would work best for you. That's what I meant about adapting the techniques. I know it's getting to be really difficult for me to do the braid as my hair gets longer, and I only have periperal nerve damage in my arms

sorry for such a long detour guys!

I wasn't referring to the doodles and stuff, but the washing and such. The most I do is a french braid, and I leave it braided until my next shower. I just put something over it at night if I really care, or smooth the worst fuzz with water the next day. That way I don't really have to do anything again for days at a time. I don't know what would work best for you. That's what I meant about adapting the techniques. I know it's getting to be really difficult for me to do the braid as my hair gets longer, and I only have periperal nerve damage in my arms

sorry for such a long detour guys!
    oic. i only wash my hair once a week. maybe 2x a week if i feel my mohawk needs it. most black people wash their hair 1 - 2x/week as ours can gt dry and we need the natural oils etc.

when i was doing all the chemicals/pressing etc my hair got washed and redone every 2 weeks. so yea. it's not the frequency of washing, it's the actual washing and taking care of curls. it's tiresome and having someone else do it is expensive. hence why i shave my head and forget about it. plus it's a good look for wicked high pain days!

Watched one of the 5 shows I have recorded last night. Really brought back memories of how prejudice people can be when it comes to employment, it can be very hurtful. That was one reason I always just ended up doing my own businesses when I was younger and not working for somebody else. The girl who is the model and quad is very pretty. I think this show will be good at attempting to get rid of peoples false perceptions of disabled people. I wish the show were on one of the more major networks like lifetime or NBC or something.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I read a mentor from (Sheperd I think) did not like the part about not getting an office job. She said she knew quads that could faster than hell. (along those lines)
    Am going out the door and can't source it right now, but thought it was a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Eta: on YouTube look for "imbonnie", she's great
    She sits so slouched, it was driving me crazy.

RE: Angela - I saw in an interview she said "I'm paralyzed from the neck down, I can't be left alone". First, she's (we're) paralyzed from the chest down, with some of the arms and hands paralyzed. Semantics, I know, but confusing if it's just written and you don't see her.

But what is sad is that someone has sold her a bill of goods; who told her that she can't be left alone?! She could feel so much more free if she'd hang out with some female quads who could show her how much more independent she could be.

I was glad to see in a preview that she's taking up her art again. not easy as a quad, but very worth while and rewarding.