Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Thanks for explaining this to others KLD. I think I'll print it out. So many people, SCI included don't understand the low blood pressure issue and why it happens. They either freak out when it's low and it isn't an issue and having no symptoms or don't understand how big of an impact it is on my daily life when I'm having symptoms and am faint/dizzy.

sherocks while there is little evidence that standing does much for bone density [though you should do it for other reasons] there is some evidence that says fes builds bone density. Ride that bike! Do you get faint riding? I did one morning I road, but it was early and had hardly ate/drank.
    Hi,..yes I DO get dizzy on bike! I drink lots of water and it does get better..but last time I had slight pain and dysreflexia so i stopped...I am really scared my bones are too weak now..so I will do scan first and then ride..my old dr. Sipski had a patient who broke her leg on a bike..and I am terrified of that..re: high bp from pain (

KLD wonderful post! WOW!!! thanks so much.
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 07-01-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The last scenario you describe is classic autonomic dysreflexia.
    Well, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    if i had 300/200. i'd be dead.
    Yeah, I felt like I might. It was crazy. I don't advise it.

it was angela crying at her 10 years post party, not auti.

tiphany said she was more fit now than before her sci. She probably never worked out before so has gained tons in her upper body. I don't know if you meant her legs as well though.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    Eileen What I think that you are talking about is a documentary, not a reality show.
    All reality shows are as fake as a two dollar bill, so why would you expect this one to be any different? And as for not showing the girls working, they are working very hard, all four of them, and getting payed for it.

Exactly. This is an entertainment show, not a documentary about the disability rights movement. Not everybody with a spinal cord injury or disability needs to be an activist.

In my opinion, the reality show, shallow although it may be; there is a correlation to the rights that these admirable disability rights activists fought for. If it wasn't for their fight for integration, these girls would never have been given a venue that is equal in standing to the other drama and image based reality TV shows.

I think it's unfair of the disability community to demand that these women, actors and dancers, be held responsible to be the heroes and politically correct role models for disability awareness.

Maybe they are living their lives as the people they were before their injury. Not everybody has to be an activist. I believe that the disabled people that are living their lives by setting an example of having careers and families and other life activities are doing just as much in creating disability awareness as the activists fighting for their rights.

I know plenty of disabled girls who are in the same mindset as the Push Girls - wanting to be sexy, attractive, and have a kicky attitude. I, myself, love it when people tell me they don't even notice my wheelchair; that my personality transcends it. That makes me feel normal, and not disabled for a few moments.

I see so many people here offended that the girls don't have office jobs or other careers. What they are failing to recognize is that these girls are being very creative and crafty by earning money through this reality TV show. They are working tirelessly, putting their lives in front of the camera, and obliging to a very heavy media schedule.

Being that what it may, their sexy lives are more entertaining to the general public then the trials and tribulations of the leaders in the disability rights movement.

Sorry, not to be disrespectful, but a pretty face in Hollywood gets more attention than an iron lung.

I've watched the first two episodes and I like the show, its not my favorite, thats Duck Dynasty. I am a little disappointed in Angela that she hasn't figured out how to be more independent. I'll continue to watch and support the show if I can figure out where to watch it online (turned my satellite off.)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    There's a soap opera in Britain that has an actress with my disorder that is a power chair user. I watched a ton of the episodes on youtube just to see. She's the first full time disabled actress on the show, Coronation Street. Her character has the same disability but its not the point of the character, she's just a character on the show who happens to have EDS and use a power chair.

The girls do work, they showed Mia at work in one episode. She talked about how she works with clients on the phone a lot before they come in and see her in person. She mentioned some seem really surprised to see her in a wheelchair. There was also a clip of the girls talking about their jobs, I don't think Angela was in it though. I'd like to see them at work more but that must be more complicated to get permission to film.
    Lin, you might want to start watching again if you can: Izzy (the power chair user with EDS) in Coronation Street is getting some interesting stuff coming next week; I read that she discovers she is pregnant. It looks like her disability is going to be put into play, as I read that she wonders if she can deal with a child with her disability.

Anyways, sherockandsherolls - I'm the same, felt horrendous standing in rehab, and passed out. My bp went to something stupid like 80/40 before I keeled over once. Doctors here seem unconcerned with low bp.
    Anyway, last time I tried was over 7 years ago, and I'm much too worried about my bones now to ever try again. Plus, I would surely feel terrible anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I've watched the first two episodes and I like the show, its not my favorite, thats Duck Dynasty. I am a little disappointed in Angela that she hasn't figured out how to be more independent. I'll continue to watch and support the show if I can figure out where to watch it online (turned my satellite off.)
    I bought the season off iTunes. It was under $10.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    Lin, you might want to start watching again if you can: Izzy (the power chair user with EDS) in Coronation Street is getting some interesting stuff coming next week; I read that she discovers she is pregnant. It looks like her disability is going to be put into play, as I read that she wonders if she can deal with a child with her disability.
    I hope for Izzy's sake the storyline isn't TOO realistic. It's not always bad, but I have heard some real horror stories about EDS and pregnancy. My family is constantly rhapsodizing about adoption, that I don't need to get pregnant, etc etc. :-/

I agree with Broken Doll.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    Exactly. This is an entertainment show, not a documentary about the disability rights movement. Not everybody with a spinal cord injury or disability needs to be an activist.

In my opinion, the reality show, shallow although it may be; there is a correlation to the rights that these admirable disability rights activists fought for. If it wasn't for their fight for integration, these girls would never have been given a venue that is equal in standing to the other drama and image based reality TV shows.

I think it's unfair of the disability community to demand that these women, actors and dancers, be held responsible to be the heroes and politically correct role models for disability awareness.

Maybe they are living their lives as the people they were before their injury. Not everybody has to be an activist. I believe that the disabled people that are living their lives by setting an example of having careers and families and other life activities are doing just as much in creating disability awareness as the activists fighting for their rights.

I know plenty of disabled girls who are in the same mindset as the Push Girls - wanting to be sexy, attractive, and have a kicky attitude. I, myself, love it when people tell me they don't even notice my wheelchair; that my personality transcends it. That makes me feel normal, and not disabled for a few moments.

I see so many people here offended that the girls don't have office jobs or other careers. What they are failing to recognize is that these girls are being very creative and crafty by earning money through this reality TV show. They are working tirelessly, putting their lives in front of the camera, and obliging to a very heavy media schedule.

Being that what it may, their sexy lives are more entertaining to the general public then the trials and tribulations of the leaders in the disability rights movement.

Sorry, not to be disrespectful, but a pretty face in Hollywood gets more attention than an iron lung.
    Translation: Sex sells.