Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    thanks for the clarification..geez, ya woulda thought it was more detailed..and besides we need to get over our embarrassment and shame over what is now our reality...that is true freedom..hard and I am only now getting better..but if I need to cath or use a leg bag, I should not be afraid to have it known..if you are grossed out..so be it. If all bathrooms were accessible..if may be different....I feel it is a form of self love and acceptance to just let it be what it is and not be horrified if someone finds out or sees it. As far as the caregiver aspect, I am not familiar with that and am not sure if her approach of ?breaking him in" early on..will succeed or fail..it will at least allow him a true picture and allow him to choose the door if he feels he is unable to deal with it..as there will always be some time where he will need to fill in...and he needs to know what to in these emergencies?
    I'm not yet where you are in losing shame and embarrassment about how I manage b and b.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    I'm not yet where you are in losing shame and embarrassment about how I manage b and b.
    I am not really either lol..just saying that real self acceptance in my mind at least would = no shame or embarrassment over what is our reality..we should just hold our head up high and say YEP..that is how we do it! many will be horrified and grossed out and feel more sorry for us than they do now lol, but many..will just be like..ok, no big deal..and that is how it is for ALL things..for breast feeding, for childbirth, even aging..there are always those who are critics and will distance themselves..but Angela and all the girls have one thing..Confidence! and this is a thing I want to get stronger in..

I am redownloading the episode,,,hopefully itunes will show the right one this time!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

All of our very close friends know the gory details of bowels and bladder management. And several of them have actually done one or both when I've unexpectedly and suddenly had to leave town. Chad is a real trooper about it - as are our friends. One girl is awesome - she did bowel program for him and dead panned "hey, I change diapers, no big deal!". I LOVE her.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    thanks for the clarification..geez, ya woulda thought it was more detailed..and besides we need to get over our embarrassment and shame over what is now our reality...that is true freedom..hard and I am only now getting better..but if I need to cath or use a leg bag, I should not be afraid to have it known..if you are grossed out..so be it. If all bathrooms were accessible..if may be different....I feel it is a form of self love and acceptance to just let it be what it is and not be horrified if someone finds out or sees it. As far as the caregiver aspect, I am not familiar with that and am not sure if her approach of ?breaking him in" early on..will succeed or fail..it will at least allow him a true picture and allow him to choose the door if he feels he is unable to deal with it..as there will always be some time where he will need to fill in...and he needs to know what to in these emergencies?
    he definitely needs to understand fully/know what to do but damn, i just thought how she went about it was rude.

i am pretty private about personal care but i think it is more my need to be hyper independent. even when i've been super sick/had surgery and did need someone there i just would deal as best i could. growing up my mom would gag and make face etc and one day i just had enough. was gonna figure out something no matter how bad my hands were.

but on the flip side, as humans learning to control bowel and bladder is a key milestone in development. and we're taught that it is bad and shameful if we wet or pooped on ourselves. so with disability, especially those who were injure later in life, those early feelings do come back. it's upsetting, doesnt feel "natural" etc. and that's ok. but as tiphany said we all gotta go. so adjusting to that new normal takes time and gosh i sound rambly today! lol
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Angela was shown wearing a diaper and she talked about it. That's TMI for me, maybe not some of you. there arent many depictions of quads in the media so there arent any competing portrayals for people to see. Sorry but I just dont want them thinking we're all the same.

I had some how forgotten the 'man up' comment!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Angela was shown wearing a diaper and she talked about it. That's TMI for me, maybe not some of you. there arent many depictions of quads in the media so there arent any competing portrayals for people to see. Sorry but I just dont want them thinking we're all the same.

I had some how forgotten the 'man up' comment!
    Wow! Did she really? That's crazy! I haven't been following the show because I don't have tv anymore. I'm pretty upfront and open about the quad thing to guys, but I wouldn't want them to help me unless I was in a bind and needed their help. One of my english professors watches reality tv (pawn stars, honey boo boo, real housewives) and I'm sure one of these days she'll mention the Push Girls.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

apparently "they" already think we're all the same. i frequently get told "you're NOT a quad cuz you don't look like christopher reeve!"

but if a dude even gets to the point where he gets to undress me, hopefully he'll be wonderfully surprised to find anything but a diaper :P
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

yeah, but that may be because she was travelling..It is wise to wear a "undergarment" lol when on plane etc as time change, travel, strange foods and lack of access to a accessible bathroom can affect us and it is the smart and mind easing thing to do in this case...

Angela's boyfriend finds it to be NO big deal..that is what we all deserve, acceptance.

So again,, good on Angela!
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 09-05-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

After trying to redownload I still can't get the episode to work on my iPad, or on computer, but for some reason it works on my iPhone. Ive been emailing with apple and they say it works. Maybe for some!! Not for all! :-)

Ok ,now it works on iPad 40 min later! Not sure what the issue was, hope you all can get it to download correctly too!
    Last edited by Lizbv; 09-01-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Now it works

I think of it is that is was Angela's brainchild this show and she does not want to be accused of not showing the real reality of quadriplegia as after all this is suppose to be a reality show. If she just portrayed the glamour side all the time, I'm sure there would be naysayers saying this is not reality.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred