Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: hotels annoy me

hotels annoy me

My son has made it to the state playoffs. Trying to find a hotel in small town USA with appropriate accomodations is a PITA. What really pisses me off is the team wanted to reserve a block of rooms at this one particluar place. I called and the accessible room only has one bed. I aksed about an ajoining room, they have none. They have family suites on the second floor, not accessible. They said they could give me the room next door to the wheelchair room, but no discount. SO I can either pay for two rooms, or go stay alone away from the team at a place that costs 40 dollars more a night.

What are the exact rules in the ADA about hotel rooms. I have been to ADA.gov and I can not find them. I found all kinds of settlements, but no exact anything. I feel like just filing millions of lawsuits but I really do not know how to go about it. I am sick of my vacations getting screwed up by these people. The last place I stayed brought me and my bf a craftsman shop chair to take a shower on. No kidding it looked just like this, but covered with dust and dirt.
    Last edited by addiesue; 07-18-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    This seems to be a big problem east of the mississppi. I've run into this a lot when vacationing with my 3 kids and it sucks. I quit telling them that there is 4 of us when they only have one bed and we tale along sleeping bags for the kids. It's bs that they if they don't have an accessible room with 2 beds, that they don't have the accessible room adjoining another and at a discounted price. The rooms with 1 bed are the same as a 2-bed room, but are most often only allowed 3 people according to fire marshall? most places won't care if you have 4 and they don't have anything else to offer.
    Most places west of the missippi(where we normally travel) seem to always have 2- bed accessible rooms?

I don't want the star pitcher sleeping on the floor.
    Or if he stays with his dad I had hoped to split a room with my parents or brother. I could do this if not for the stupid wheelchair. Being paralyzed costs more to live in soooo many different little ways.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Can they bring in a fold out bed? I think sometimes they charge $5.00 or so.

addiesue, what about a rollaway bed? Do hotels/motels still use them?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

A rollaway bed is a possibility, unfair though and still someone is on the floor. I have myself and my bf and 2 kids. Or Myself, my parents or brother and his girlfriend on various nights. We have to be there three nights.
    It's annoying to have to worry about and should just be some rooms w 2 beds and some room with one, just like the "regular" rooms. The family suite would be great, it has a kitchen but no elevator to get up to it.
    They are not even booking the group until tomorrow, I called ahead to try to beat the crowd. You have 9 teams that all found out if they placed yesterday by who won this weekends district tournaments. So all 9 teams trying to stay in one little place :/

It happens so often when we travel with our kids. We have 2 people using wheelchairs and 2 or 3 kids depending on what week it is, but only one bed. It is stupid.
    Last edited by addiesue; 07-18-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Yeah, sure as hell puts a damper on something that's supposed to be fun. I hope it works out for the best, and good luck to your son's team!
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    A rollaway bed is a possibility, unfair though and still someone is on the floor. I have myself and my bf and 2 kids. Or Myself, my parents or brother and his girlfriend on various nights. We have to be there three nights.
    It's annoying to have to worry about and should just be some rooms w 2 beds and some room with one, just like the "regular" rooms. The family suite would be great, it has a kitchen but no elevator to get up to it.
    They are not even booking the group until tomorrow, I called ahead to try to beat the crowd. You have 9 teams that all found out if they placed yesterday by who won this weekends tournament. So all 9 teams trying to stay in one little place :/

It happens so often when we travel with our kids. We have 2 people using wheelchairs and 2 or 3 kids depending on what week it is, but only one bed. It is stupid.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I think it is the principle that all of us have enough frustration in life without having to worry every time we want to do something fun that it will be frustrating. I want to just go out on a trip and not worry if I can take a shower or pee or have to sleep with my parents....

Thanks for the well wishes! They won subdistrict undefeated and district they were beat once. Hopefully we will keep it going.

I wish I had the funding to build a chain of nice hotels with all accessible rooms so that we all know where to stay with no issues.

I stay in different hotels in various cities about 10-15% of the time. In my opinion it's a complete crap shoot.

I really think that traveling is an expectations game (especially for us SCIs). I've gotten to the point where if I can get to a bed, a bathroom and feel somewhat safe then I have had a successful experience whether I've paid $50 or $250 per night.

I'm not confident that the ADA has any real teeth in this domain but I've never tried to call anyone on it either.

There are tons of settlements listed at ADA.gov where they list there must be rooms with the same number of beds, I just can not find the wording in the ADA.

Read number 17 on this one. http://www.ada.gov/madonnainn.htm