Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: New reality TV show PUSH GIRLS on SUNDANCE

thanks keps! That's really interesting, I would like to see how it goes. There are so many issues they could address. Passing on the disorder, miscarriage/premature birth, jump in progression of joint damage from pregnancy hormones, and caring for the kid. I assume izzy is still single right? I hope I can find new episodes online.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Someone mentioned Auti crying 10 yrs post injury. She is actually much further post injury, but anyway I'm almost 10 yrs out and still have moments I cry and am upset thinking or talking about the situation. I don't see how that means someone hasn't adjusted well? It doesn't happen often to me, but it does happen.

I want to know why none of them have quad or paraguts, lol. Tiphany's body looks hardly affected on the outside. She has really been able to keep the muscle mass.
    I didnt think it was about adjustment I thought that maybe the crying wasnt authentic considering she's been injured 20 years. I was interviewed by a tv journalist once who wasnt too thrilled with the matter of fact way i told my injury story, i could tell she wanted some drama. pfft. i'm sure 'realiy' tv is worse.

Yeah I was, dare I say, envious of their lack of guts too! Angela looked like she might be wearing a binder.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by chaiale View Post
    I hope for Izzy's sake the storyline isn't TOO realistic. It's not always bad, but I have heard some real horror stories about EDS and pregnancy. My family is constantly rhapsodizing about adoption, that I don't need to get pregnant, etc etc. :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    thanks keps! That's really interesting, I would like to see how it goes. There are so many issues they could address. Passing on the disorder, miscarriage/premature birth, jump in progression of joint damage from pregnancy hormones, and caring for the kid. I assume izzy is still single right? I hope I can find new episodes online.
    Guys, you might want to check out this link -
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...er-izzy-872242

Sorry about the "wheelchair-bound" bit in the above article - The Mirror is not one of England's best newspapers.

Tiny clip here, but I don't know if it plays outside the UK -
    http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/...wed4july730pm/

Izzy has actually been with a guy - Gary - for quite a while. They seem happy together so far, but haven't lately had any real storylines.

I found it, but I can't see all of it from the beginning. So which date do I start to look. It is not saying episodes but the day it is sent in Britain.
    TH 12, 43 years post

thanks! By single I meant not married, I should have said that instead lol.weird that they say they need to find out what the chances are for passing it on. HEDS that cherylee/izzy have is autosomal dominant. The most common types are. And even if hers was caused by a de novo mutation, the chances of passing are the same as someone with a long family history. So 50/50, and it's even more ridiculous that they mention something about chances being affected by her getting sick.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Project Walk client Chelsie H on Push Girls Episode 6 Season 1

Our client Chelsie will be on Push Girls this week (first airing tonight 7/2 @ 10pm). They will show her working out at Project Walk.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Really liked new episode
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Just saw the newest episode (Comcast On-Demand). I'm really liking the show. I think it's getting better. It's starting to seem more real. I was wishing the episode was longer and I was really hoping they were going to take the stairs. Damn I was disappointed when they said, nah we'lll take the elevator. It's silly I know, I just wanted them to do the stairs and show people what is possible in a chair. It goes back to an episode of the original British version of The Office. There's a fire drill and a young woman in a chair is left on a landing in the stairwell. I was thinking, no, this is going to make people who are learning to use chairs think there's no way to handle things like that.

Good episode. Looking forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Doll View Post
    Exactly. This is an entertainment show, not a documentary about the disability rights movement. Not everybody with a spinal cord injury or disability needs to be an activist.

In my opinion, the reality show, shallow although it may be; there is a correlation to the rights that these admirable disability rights activists fought for. If it wasn't for their fight for integration, these girls would never have been given a venue that is equal in standing to the other drama and image based reality TV shows.

I think it's unfair of the disability community to demand that these women, actors and dancers, be held responsible to be the heroes and politically correct role models for disability awareness.

Maybe they are living their lives as the people they were before their injury. Not everybody has to be an activist. I believe that the disabled people that are living their lives by setting an example of having careers and families and other life activities are doing just as much in creating disability awareness as the activists fighting for their rights.

I know plenty of disabled girls who are in the same mindset as the Push Girls - wanting to be sexy, attractive, and have a kicky attitude. I, myself, love it when people tell me they don't even notice my wheelchair; that my personality transcends it. That makes me feel normal, and not disabled for a few moments.

I see so many people here offended that the girls don't have office jobs or other careers. What they are failing to recognize is that these girls are being very creative and crafty by earning money through this reality TV show. They are working tirelessly, putting their lives in front of the camera, and obliging to a very heavy media schedule.

Being that what it may, their sexy lives are more entertaining to the general public then the trials and tribulations of the leaders in the disability rights movement.

Sorry, not to be disrespectful, but a pretty face in Hollywood gets more attention than an iron lung.
    Word! I enjoy it for what it is. I can always come here for the dirty low down of SCI :P I prefer the loveliness aka over coming the obstacles Some never can, some of us can and don't give up!
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Our client Chelsie will be on Push Girls this week (first airing tonight 7/2 @ 10pm). They will show her working out at Project Walk.
    I was glad to see her talk back to Auti who told her she was 'chosen' to have an SCI, that 'everything happens for a reason' and that she should be satisfied to serve as an 'inspiration' to others. God forbid Chelsie should desire to feel below her waist again. Religious bs. If Auti doesnt want to gain from ESCR fine [btw her sensation is evidently pretty good so she might not have a lot to miss] but hold the lecturing to others. Oh and I wonder if she'll stick to her principles if she cant conceive naturally and needs IVF!

I was glad that Angela put Dr Oswald on after Auti erroneously said ESCs are taken from fetus'. [But she once again said she was paralyzed from the neck down before she went to Portugal for treatment when she said her injury was at C 4-5]. At least this episode was more substantive.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 07-07-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer