Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: The hope for a cure

  1. #1

    The hope for a cure

    I really hope that there will be a cure for SCI one day, but the way I've taken it from different articles and doctors over the years is that once a cure has been found for humans it will benefit the one's who have recently been injured. I was told once that the longer you've had a SCI the less likely a cure will work which makes sense to me. I'm 19 yrs post and would love to walk, pee, and poop on my own again, but I also am not afraid of reality. I hope for a cure so that one day when someone gets a SCI they may be back to normal within a short period of time and not have to roll thru life on a daily basis. Until such a cure and time, ppl should move on with their life and make the best out of their situation because if you sit around doing nothing but waiting on a cure your life will pass you by with very little to show for it.

    Face the facts and move on, but never give up hope!
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

  2. #2
    I agree totally. Excellent post.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 0xSquidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Posts
    1,072
    Incoherent and pathetic post, IMO.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

    Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

    http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

  4. #4

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    I really hope that there will be a cure for SCI one day, but the way I've taken it from different articles and doctors over the years is that once a cure has been found for humans it will benefit the one's who have recently been injured. I was told once that the longer you've had a SCI the less likely a cure will work which makes sense to me. I'm 19 yrs post and would love to walk, pee, and poop on my own again, but I also am not afraid of reality. I hope for a cure so that one day when someone gets a SCI they may be back to normal within a short period of time and not have to roll thru life on a daily basis. Until such a cure and time, ppl should move on with their life and make the best out of their situation because if you sit around doing nothing but waiting on a cure your life will pass you by with very little to show for it.

    Face the facts and move on, but never give up hope!
    Why, Why, Why come here then!
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

    <----Scott Weiland---->

  5. #5
    Perhaps people are getting on with their lives but on the cure forum we are discussing cure.

    I'm not sure I have been told that the longer you're injured the less likely a cure will work.

  6. #6
    That is exactly what the problem is with most, not all, people on this forum. After injury, their life came to an end and they dwell and wait and wait. They do nothing with their lives
    and wait for the day that may never come, or if it does come, will not apply to them because they have let their body go to waste.
    Just like the quad that wonders how he can get a girl or how a girl would be interested in him.
    If everyone after injury just accepted the cards dealt and play the best hand that they can, their life would be much better than dwelling on the shitty cards that have been dealt them.
    I am by no means a poster child, but I find it amazing all the people that I have met in the last 7 years who have said that I have done more with my life than any other person that they know.
    It is all about acceptance, not dwelling, and moving on with their life as normal as they can.
    And I write this knowing that there will probably be comments about my not knowing what the life is like for a quad or other. But, I do know about having it all and losing it all and building it back up again with "worn out tools."

  7. #7
    These preaching threads belong in the life forum.

    And, yes, I think you are being selfish saying live life to the full to people who have worse injuries than yourself.

    What is the measure of who is living life to the full and who isn't? I certainly was living a great life before my accident and I have tried hard since my accident. Often I have done pretty well but not always.................

    Moderator, move this thread out of my sight to the life forum!!! LOL

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,560
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiang View Post
    That is exactly what the problem is with most, not all, people on this forum. After injury, their life came to an end and they dwell and wait and wait. They do nothing with their lives
    and wait for the day that may never come, or if it does come, will not apply to them because they have let their body go to waste....
    May I ask on what you base this divine insight? I've never known anyone with true reasons for confidence to need to tear others down to affirm it.

    In other words, can't you find a way to express your philosophy of life for yourself without presuming you know others' philosophies, and judging them?

  9. #9
    What if facing facts makes life pointless? Maybe to you or someone else there quality of life is so low its meaningless without a cure. you cant assume your perspective is universal. imagine taking hearing away from a musician, is it not cavalier to just say move on?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    May I ask on what you base this divine insight? I've never known anyone with true reasons for confidence to need to tear others down to affirm it.

    In other words, can't you find a way to express your philosophy of life for yourself without presuming you know others' philosophies, and judging them?

    Spot on.

    Everyone handles it differently and everyone is obviously injured to a different degree. Stop judging people. If they want to focus on rehab and put their life on hold, thats their choice. If they want to ignore rehab and focus on putting their life back in order, thats their choice. If they want to sit around, eat junk food, and watch movies...thats their damn choice.

    I know what I personally do and while sometimes I think I could do more, I am happy overall with my accomplishments, all things considering. Im sure you wouldn't approve, as I am very focused on a cure and on recovery rather than acceptance. I dont think Ill ever "accept" my wheelchair or anything that comes with it, but I dont presume to judge people who do.

Similar Threads

  1. No cure for spine injuries but hope
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
  2. To Russia, with hope of a miracle cure
    By manouli in forum Cure
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
  3. Millions in hope for a cure !
    By JonnyC in forum Cure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 09:56 PM
  4. Holding out hope for cure
    By Leif in forum Cure
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 10:33 PM
  5. THE BIGGEST HOPE TO CURE!
    By lulu03 in forum Spinal Cord Injury News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •