Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Missed my first chair to car transfer in 23 years but had an interesting twist to it

Thats great those kids helped you out. I fell once when I got my new tilite chair doing the car to chair transfer. I fell hard on my ass (I guess I have good padding cuz I didn't have any bruises from the fall.) My 2 neighbors were outside and ran over and put me back in my chair. I get bummed when I fall but I just have to shake it off. Thankfully I haven't had a slip/fall while transferring in or out of my chair since, I probably just jinxed myself but oh well.

I have fallen from the chair, from the bed, from the toilet, but only twice in 20 yrs ( knock on wood) transferring from car to chair. (Once my chair rolled away on a slope, but that's different). The first time I was at the back of the Kmart parking lot as I couldn't find a HC spot so thought taking 2 spots back there would be OK. The board slipped from the car seat but caught on the door opening edge. It was still a struggle for me and I couldn't make it. After sitting there awhile a teenager passed by at a distance and I flagged him down to help me. He was a big kid and didn't say much, but he lifted me on to the wheel chair. The second time I was in my driveway and the chair slipped. I hadn't set both brakes. My mother came out, worried, and called the neighbors to help. She got mad at me because I was laughing. 3 eighty yr olds trying to decide if they could lift me or call for backup. They did and I thanked them and hoped they hadn't pull something in the effort. All's well that ends well.

I didn't fall, but a few years ago I was driving on I-75 (by myself) in downtown Atlanta headed to Shepherd when my left front tire suddenly went flat...I was in the fast, left lane. By the time I could move over four lanes to the right shoulder, I was past the exit. I was on crutches at the time but was only about 3' from traffic and no way could I stand up there. I didn't have a cell phone so I just slid my seat back and got ready for a long wait for DOT or Police to come by. I looked out the passenger window and saw a young man headed my way. He asked if I needed help and changed my tire for me. He wouldn't take any money. I asked him his name and he wouldn't tell me. I asked what company he worked for and he just waved and walked away. When I hear someone talking about this sorry generation, I tell them this story. I think there are still a lot of caring people around.

I hope every one can have a similar experience.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    I didn't fall, but a few years ago I was driving on I-75 (by myself) in downtown Atlanta headed to Shepherd when my left front tire suddenly went flat...I was in the fast, left lane. By the time I could move over four lanes to the right shoulder, I was past the exit. I was on crutches at the time but was only about 3' from traffic and no way could I stand up there. I didn't have a cell phone so I just slid my seat back and got ready for a long wait for DOT or Police to come by. I looked out the passenger window and saw a young man headed my way. He asked if I needed help and changed my tire for me. He wouldn't take any money. I asked him his name and he wouldn't tell me. I asked what company he worked for and he just waved and walked away. When I hear someone talking about this sorry generation, I tell them this story. I think there are still a lot of caring people around.

I hope every one can have a similar experience.
    What a wonderful story!! We just made a trip "back east" and the traffic through Atlanta was scary!!!! We're used to open spaces and all that speeding and zipping across lanes was almost too much!