Thread: Question for wise about trial and rehab

Question for wise about trial and rehab

walking: for me, is at the top of the list.
    But isn't stuff like peeing and pooping and boners the ultimate show of actual cord regenerating and not walking because theoretically, walking can be a result of rehab

You can't rehab yourself back to those functions

If I may ask at this time in the ongoing trials: are any treated patients recovering b/b/s?
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    walking: for me, is at the top of the list.
    But isn't stuff like peeing and pooping and boners the ultimate show of actual cord regenerating and not walking because theoretically, walking can be a result of rehab

You can't rehab yourself back to those functions

If I may ask at this time in the ongoing trials: are any treated patients recovering b/b/s?
    I disagree with your assertion that walking can happen from rehabilitation alone and that bowel, bladder, and sexual function are not influenced by rehabilitation. It is true that locomotor training increases the likelihood of walking but this does not mean that all people can walk if they engage in intensive training. You don't need much but you still need some connection in order to walk. The same is true of bowel, bladder, and sexual function. A lot of people recover bowel, bladder, and sexual function after spinal cord injury. Of course many do not, just like walking. For these functions, you need some connections between the brain and the lower spinal cord.

Regarding the trials that we are now carrying out in China, we use the SCIM (Spinal Cord Independence Measure) and it does assess bowel, bladder, and sexual function but these are subjective answers to questions. We do not have other objective assessments of these functions. Bladder or bowel tests are expensive and not every one of our centers have the people or training to do the tests. The tests are also not well-standardized. To save money, we must choose a relatively limited set of outcome measures and let other centers do these additional studies later. Other than subjective self-reporting by the patients, we will not have objective evidence of bowel, bladder, and sexual function.

Wise.

If I had to choose between walking and b/b/s fuction, I def. choose b/b/s over walking any day!
    I can tell when I need to go but just can't go on my own. It would be so nice to regain that ability again.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    If I had to choose between walking and b/b/s fuction, I def. choose b/b/s over walking any day!
    I can tell when I need to go but just can't go on my own. It would be so nice to regain that ability again.
    stumpybushman,

I think walking and b/b/s function should recover together. Most people with incomplete spinal cord injuries recover both together. If our trials show subjective evidence that it is improving b/b/s function, this can be relatively easily tested as the therapy is used in more people.

Wise.

Yeah, I noticed that when I wrote it, then thought about it a little more... I too would take b/b/s over walking. I just didn't go back and correct myself for some reason

I agree
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Dr. Wise, Thank you for your time and information.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Dr. Wise, Thank you for your time and information.
    You are very welcome. Wise.