Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I received my pool quote

I received my pool quote

and I am hyperventilating. I am moving to a modest but new and accessible home in TX and I requested a quote for pool/deck (stamped concrete) and landscaping. The lady just sent me

139,000 DOLLARS!!!!!!!!

No way, no how...
    Where to begin?
    Are rectangular pools cheaper?
    Pavers instead of stamped concrete?

Maybe just buy an inflatable pool at Walmart?

Above ground pool with a deck and ramp would be a heck of a lot less. I had one and it worked out pretty good. Being a para it did not matter that it was only 4 feet deep and at 32 x 16 it was plenty big enough.

Heck you could do something like this for not too much money and use trex synthetic wood so thee would be no maintenance. This looks beautiful.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 06-02-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

My neighbors just filled their pool in. It became unafordable. The lowest quote they got for just refinishing the walls and bottom was $15,000. There were no other repairs involved. It was just a modest rectangular pool about 15' by 30'.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Hi Cripply, we installed a custom concrete pool with stamped concrete apron and walkway to the deck, small waterfall 15x30 5 years ago it cost us about 60K with the landscaping we also have a 400K btu heater on it. I suggest you get another quote we used antony & slyvan they are a national pool contractor.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

When we downsized from our 5000 sq foot home to 3000 sg feet we decided to put a pool and spa in. We installed the pool, screen enclosure, and pavers. Here is Florida it was about 30K in 2010. It is not huge, but typical for here. It also even has a wade in style entrance so I can easily get in and out. Plus it works great for my son who is a toddler to play in shallow water! No water fall or anything, but it heated by propane so the spa can warm up quickly. More affordable than electric. We have a large propane tank under ground that also runs our whole house generator in the event of an emergency.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Pools

Pools are poor investments for a home owner with poor return on your investment when you want to sell.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    Pools are poor investments for a home owner with poor return on your investment when you want to sell.

Ti
    This maybe true, but having something that gives you, your children and your grandchildren joy for the last 5 years is a price I was willing to pay even if we never recover a cent from the investment. Plus I don't plan on going anywhere for the rest of this life.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

Ti

Not so much in the deep south where it is warm most of the time.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Wow that is a lot of money for a pool.
    i ve been working in construction all my life, one must also look at the running and maintence costs too. On our tiny island surrounded by sea to have a pool is a status symbol. its a pity that outdoor pools are only used during summer months and end up being a waste of valuable space, however one should always design their home according to lifestyle.

That must be a very, very nice pool they are quoting. The smartest way to purchase a pool is to buy a house with it already installed. Let the other owner take the hit. You will never get your money back and it will bother you when you realize the only one using it is the dog. With that being said, if it is properly built and has a salt chlorinator, maintenance is minimal. Its good therapy and nice to sit around at night. I floated around for several hours yesterday and it was very relaxing.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."