Thread: Self Managed Care Plan Charting/Reporting Requirements?

Self Managed Care Plan Charting/Reporting Requirements?

I have hired my caregiver (my husband) through a self-managed care plan for almost 9 years. There has been a requirement that I have my caregiver fill out a form 4 times a year which has check boxes to note any changes in various aspects of my condition (mental status/behaviour, nutrition/hydration, bladder/bowel, skin condition, hygeine, psychsocial). I have resisted having this form sent in, only doing it when my insurance insisted. Now I have a new care plan where they want it sent in monthly.

I feel like I am a mentally competent adult, not institutionalized, and fully capable of taking care on my own problems. It feels like an invasion of my privacy to have to let them know if I've been constipated, or if I see my friends very often, etc. If I have a medical concern I call my dr, etc.

Are forms like these common or standard??
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Emi, this may be something that is relatively unique to the Canadian system, but it is certainly not consistent with the independent living model...with that, YOU (not the caregiver) would be filling out any such reports that would continue to justify your need for caregiver services. It certainly is not appropriate to have the caregiver reporting on (or ratting out!) the employer, which is what you are in the IL model.

Personally, I would just have your husband submit the forms as required, but if possible just tick off the boxes that say "no change" before sending it back; regardless of what has been happening with your health, unless the change would indicate the need for increased hours of care.

(KLD)

Probably none of my business, but I am curious how these self managed care plans work in Canada. When you say you have hired your husband as your caregiver, who pays him? how much is he paid?

In the United States, Private insurance and Social Security don't have provisions to hire and pay family members for caregiving.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm guessing it varies by province, or provincially run auto-insurance program but a monthly assessment seems over the line. I think my assessment is every 5 years by my GP. Do they know you have a permanent SCI?

We don't qualify because our assets are too much but the department of rehab will allow you to hire who ever you want as a caregiver, including spouse or children.

Thanks everyone.
    KLD -if I am forced to send the forms I will just send the same form every month.
    gjnl - In my case, I was fortunate enough to be injured at work, so my provincial workers compensation board pays all costs related to my injury. In order to hire my husband he had to complete a Health Care Assistant course. Every month I recieve money with which I pay him, taxes, my accountant etc.
    It works very well for us.
    Christopher - I've been awarded a permnament disability benefit, I don't have to prove I'm still disabled. The form is more in regards to my condition from month to month. Which is silly as a change in my care hours requires a new nursing assessment anyhow....
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

As a provider, I complete similar forms for my patients who have home health care from an outside agency. The questions are similar to the form you describe.

I agree with previous respondents who recommended reporting that there are no changes in your condition. The point in completing the forms is for people who do get better from a disability to determine when they can return to work. I don't think those conditions would apply to your situation. Reporting that the disability or injury is a permanent condition each time is appropriate.

pbr

Yeah, the purpose of the form seems to be to ensure that my care needs are being met, and that my health is stable.... it just seems that as a competent adult I can be responsible for that myself and besides I'd never get more hours just by filling out a form.

I'm also on a self managed care plan but use an agency and they do daily care notes and feel its not right some of the time