Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Why dont people seem excited about invivo therapeutics

im coming up on 2 years, and nothing is happening. please pass your books this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck503 View Post
    I don't either. I think it's unfortunate that people feel the
    need to be misleading and suggest that he claims to have
    cured himself. He's clearly explaining the plasticity of the
    central nervous system when he describes his recovery.

We shouldn't be so cynical, but instead, grateful that such
    an accomplished and ambitous group has chosen to pursue a
    cure for spinal cord injury.
    "long story short I GOT MYSELF BACK WALKIN", starts at the 3 minute mark. No one is trying to mislead you!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPwGZ4y428

I guess I just don't want "MYSELF BACK WALKIN" bad enough like F.Reynolds did.
    Last edited by ineedmyelin; 08-19-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

I got myself back walking, but, I can't feel my legs, all my balance is in my eyes they"re F*&^%%d up from the split skull. Tonight working on a refrigeration unit on a trailer, up 4 steps on a ladder, the trailer along side of me started to move, leaving the loading dock, and a crazy columbian loading the one I was on, slamming the forklift in @ a crazy speed. I got to go for the ride of my life holding on the frame work, because I lost whatever balance I was trying to achieve.

I "DIDN"T" cure myself though, I just make the best of a really bad situation I'm now in. I held on the frame work, and gently as I could let myself somewhat down to the concrete, not a scrape, nick, or bruise, when the ladder and I parted ways.

I've talked with Pat Rummerfield and compared low light horror stories, I've pushed as far as I can to get here, but, I'd like the feeling and precipitation back I once had. To say the least this is dangerous [what I'm doing] i'd like to get the confidence I once had back, or better than this.

I wonder if Mr. Reynolds is as bad off as me. Walking into a room is on thing, getting on with my life is another. And we can forget about standing during laser light shows, i've already tried that one,,,,,FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    "long story short I GOT MYSELF BACK WALKIN", starts at the 3 minute mark. No one is trying to mislead you!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPwGZ4y428

I guess I just don't want "MYSELF BACK WALKIN" bad enough like F.Reynolds did.
    I've seen that presentation. People hear what they want to hear,
    I guess. All he's doing is explaining the plasticity of the spinal cord
    or neural reorganization. I've read Wise Young explain it, as well -
    that people only need a small percentage of healthy tissue and
    signals will find the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S View Post
    Not saying that I am but im wondering why there doesnt seem to be much chatter? do people not believe in there work. i saw a video where they stated they've done primate tests. anyone hear about those results?

If I knew that I would break my neck in 2020 then I would be very excited about InVivo. Since it already happened, their work has nothing to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck503 View Post
    I don't either. I think it's unfortunate that people feel the
    need to be misleading and suggest that he claims to have
    cured himself. He's clearly explaining the plasticity of the
    central nervous system when he describes his recovery.

We shouldn't be so cynical, but instead, grateful that such
    an accomplished and ambitous group has chosen to pursue a
    cure for spinal cord injury.
    As ever, the question begged is "why has this not traveled, but remained a local phenomenon?"
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    If I knew that I would break my neck in 2020 then I would be very excited about InVivo. Since it already happened, their work has nothing to do with me.
    its still exciting to know that possibly my friends or family wont have to go through what im going through. but at the same time, discouraging especially when reynolds claims to have been paralyzed for 2 years, but yet doesnt seem to touch on the chronic cure quest, other than saying we have something in the coming years.

Dr. Robert Langer

Heres something new on Dr. Robert Langer.

Repairing voices
    Good vibrations
    How to restore people’s voices
    Aug 25th 2012 | from the print edition

Shattering news
    INJURY, disease or sheer old age mean that as many as 7% of Americans (and, presumably, a similar proportion of the population of other countries) have some kind of voice disorder caused by scarring of their vocal cords. Such scarring makes the cords stiff, and stops them producing sound in the normal way. But that could be overcome if a method were found to restore the cords’ flexibility.

Robert Langer, a pioneering biomedical engineer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and his colleagues think they have one. They have developed a material that mimics the characteristics of natural vocal cords and could thus help restore distorted voices.

To make their new material, Dr Langer and his team took polyethylene glycol, a substance widely used in the cosmetics industry and thus known to be safe, and altered the chemical linkages between its molecules. This allowed them to control the polymer’s viscosity and elasticity. After some trial and error, as they described on August 20th to a meeting of the American Chemical Society held in Philadelphia, they hit on a mixture which matches the traits of human vocal cords. Laboratory tests have shown that when air is blown through a model of the vocal cords made from this material, the model responds in the way that real cords do.

The new polymer gel is not intended to heal scarred tissue, but rather to make the whole tissue flexible enough to restore vibrations to normal. To achieve this Dr Langer proposes to inject the gel under the tissue membrane (a thin layer of cells that covers the vocal cords), forming an additional layer within. Patients with different voices could be treated with gels that had different physical characteristics, in order to produce the desired effect.

There is a limitation. The new gel is prone to degradation and in some cases would need to be topped up regularly. But trials on animals suggest the procedure is safe, and human trials are expected to start soon.

http://www.economist.com/node/215608...goodivbrations
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->