Thread: Tunneling wound- desperate!!

Tunneling wound- desperate!!

Quick background- my husband had a peri-urethral abscess removed in February. It had turned into a fistula that drained from the base of his scrotum after a urologist had lanced it awhile back and it never healed. 2 weeks later, he had a 2nd surgery for a post-operative infection, and they left the wound open. His entire scrotum was cut open. He had home health nurses who packed the wound twice a day. Then he had a wound vac, which didn't really do much but make him very anxious and unable to sleep. The wound used to be 11 cm. It got down to 5cm before healing stalled. His doctor used MatriStem MicroMatrix on it, and it went down to 3.5 cm, but that was just a free trial of the drug and now we can't get any more. Our insurance won't cover it, and it costs $3,000. The home nurse was here today and his wound is back up to 5.5cm. We are desperate to figure out what to do! His urologist wants to operate again, but we are hesitant to just let them cut him open again because the doctor doesn't know why it's not healing.

Suggestions? Help? I'm just so frustrated and sad, and this has left us broke and feeling like there's nowhere to turn.

Has his doctors ruled out osteomyelitis?

i hate these insurance companies? how much will the price be for the surgery and all associated cost compared to the expensive mesh? Does the doctor think that the mesh will work, or should the size that was used have worked better or closed it. ? I guess what i am trying to say is it $3000 non invasive against a surgery and heath aids and all the cost?
    maybe start fighting with the insurance company if the doc thinks it will work and see if the company that makes the stuff will negotiate a lower price with the insurance company m or if yu have to pay negotiate a real lower price with a guarantee. i guess no money back guarantee in medicine.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    i hate these insurance companies? how much will the price be for the surgery and all associated cost compared to the expensive mesh? Does the doctor think that the mesh will work, or should the size that was used have worked better or closed it. ? I guess what i am trying to say is it $3000 non invasive against a surgery and heath aids and all the cost?
    maybe start fighting with the insurance company if the doc thinks it will work and see if the company that makes the stuff will negotiate a lower price with the insurance company m or if yu have to pay negotiate a real lower price with a guarantee. i guess no money back guarantee in medicine.
    The wound care treatment is actually a powder. We have a prescription for it, but can't afford to get it filled. I have tried everything I can to get it! And I agree- it seems ridiculous that they would pay for a 3rd surgery and more home health when there's no guarantee that will do any good. He has already been out of work for 3 months. We can't afford for him to take more time off for another surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig80 View Post
    Has his doctors ruled out osteomyelitis?
    Not that I know of, but in looking that up it looks like a bone disease? There isn't any bone involved. Only tissue in the scrotum.

If there isn't any osteomylitis involved, than it's usually an infection, pressure, or circulation issue. Also he has to get proper nutrition, high amount of protein for one.
    I've had hard to heal wounds but not in that area.

Yeah no bone 'down there.'

Vascular surgeon's opinion?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

What surgery does the urologist want to do? Do a closure? From the scrotum or from surrounding tissue. What does the wound base look like? red? granulating?
    CWO

Medicare and most insurance companies who have become Medicare policy followers have a totally absurd policy regarding these healing agents. They will only approve the use for diabetics because the supporting research was done on diabetic ulcers. It gives wound centers fits because the out-of-pocket cost is too much to be affordable by most other patients, such as SCIs. The wound center here sometimes can get by using remnants and left-overs from diabetic patients. Some of these agents, such as Apligraft, have to be used immediately when opened and prepared so they schedule the diabetic and non-diabetic patient together and do a "two for one" application. If these leftovers were not used, they would be thrown in the medical waste container. Maybe something like this can be done for you.

In other instances, reimbursement may be restricted by the place that the product is used. For instance, they may not cover its use in a doctor's office, but will if it is use in an outpatient unit.

Finally, some product companies have patient assistance programs to reduce cost. You might contact the company to find out. Finally, company reps often have samples to give to physicians. You can check this too.

I hope you find something that works.
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 06-02-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

might be approved for "vascular- ie ecreased blood flow which if a letter is written eplaining pathophys od sci will fit. and contact companies as mentioned- most all are looking or have filed for fda approval and might work with you and doctor. Wound centers best place to go or SCI center.
    For tunneling wound vac with white foam recommended.
    cwo'