Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The hope for a cure

I'd guess he was moreso referring to the original post rather than you. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    if i seem offensive you but i havent quite grasped your full meaning as i was not trying to be insulting to one particular

You have me a loss

Really? You're flummoxed why someone who is a C1 might take offense to having their life so totally reduced? Now I'm the one at a loss.

It's a difficult response to convey, especially in this forum, where you're certainly not the first to express the sentiment that putting a premium on cure efforts needs no further justification than pointing to really high quads and their (assumedly) next-to-pointless existence. And yes, I do know that no one means it quite that way, so I don't mean to pick on you CAS. Because, let's be honest, from an objective point of view, it's not an unreasonable premise. Being C1 or thereabout is more of a diminished life than most can imagine, even other SCIs. Twenty years in and it's still surreal even to me.

So, here I am once again, feeling the contradictory impulses to defend my life while agreeing that it does suck mightily. That's why I find these "just live your life" threads so annoying. Aren't we all already doing that, with whatever we have left?

My belief is that once they crack gene therapy the world will change PROFOUNDLY.

The cure will be so acute that it will not make a difference how long you have been injured. I believe this to be the case for my form of Muscular Dystrophy as well, gene therapy will not only repair spinal chords it will correct a lot of other disorders or injuries as well.

I say again the results will be an absolute game changer for the human race, in some ways I don't think we will fully understand the ramifications...ALL GOOD MOSTLY!

When they do find a cure....watch it, my brakes will be off...lock up your daughters I will become the guitar god I wanted to be!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

damn it...forgot...

As late as last night i saw yet another news story about an experiment on a rat they made walk after a surgical severing of its spinal chord.

That stuff sits uneasily with my belief in animal rights but, if a cure is found imagine the good it could do for all.
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

as stated in my earlier post in this thread, I am in agreement with scraper
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Really? You're flummoxed why someone who is a C1 might take offense to having their life so totally reduced? Now I'm the one at a loss.

It's a difficult response to convey, especially in this forum, where you're certainly not the first to express the sentiment that putting a premium on cure efforts needs no further justification than pointing to really high quads and their (assumedly) next-to-pointless existence. And yes, I do know that no one means it quite that way, so I don't mean to pick on you CAS. Because, let's be honest, from an objective point of view, it's not an unreasonable premise. Being C1 or thereabout is more of a diminished life than most can imagine, even other SCIs. Twenty years in and it's still surreal even to me.

So, here I am once again, feeling the contradictory impulses to defend my life while agreeing that it does suck mightily. That's why I find these "just live your life" threads so annoying. Aren't we all already doing that, with whatever we have left?
    could not have said better thats exactly whats what i was trying to convey without breaking the verable egg shells. As far as im really concern whether SCI affects you mildly or surverly it F(&K SUCKS.

I for one like all want to get out problem by being normal. so i applogize as i was not intending to get up your's or any othedr persons nose but state a objective point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sebastiang
    That is exactly what the problem is with most, not all, people on this forum. After injury, their life came to an end and they dwell and wait and wait. They do nothing with their lives
    and wait for the day that may never come, or if it does come, will not apply to them because they have let their body go to waste....

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    May I ask on what you base this divine insight? I've never known anyone with true reasons for confidence to need to tear others down to affirm it.

In other words, can't you find a way to express your philosophy of life for yourself without presuming you know others' philosophies, and judging them?
    I agree Random, I keep running into people telling me what I should do with my life when they don't have a clue about my life & myself... And there are so many people in this line of thinking that the ones who think different are marginalized.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Why they don't live their life & stop bustering our balls?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming