Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The hope for a cure

Here are two posts that I wrote last year that deal with adjustment/maladjustment and acceptance/non acceptance of our paralyzed life.
    Cure is not only a scientific/economic/political question, but a question of mindset (and no, I don't mean mind over matter). Once you say, "I will be in this chair forever," you give up trying to struggle for a cure, and yes, I mean struggle. Hoping for cure is not very useful, but if you believe what science says, that regeneration of the injured spinal cord is possible, then you have to decide to work towards it and try to move it forward.

I hope you enjoy these posts.
    Being a little nuts never killed no one
    http://www.stemcellsandatombombs.blo...ed-no-one.html

The International Association for the Advancement of Creative Maladjustment http://www.stemcellsandatombombs.blo...ation-for.html
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

My point is that a person shouldn't sit around and dwell on a cure that will fix them while letting the rest of their life pass by because their so focused on a cure being found. Like I stated in my original post, I hope there is a cure one day but until then I'm going to live my life to the fullest and enjoy it to the max cause you never know what tomorrow will bring. I also believe that your mindset has a lot to do with the life you live and that if your happy you will feel good, but if your dwelling on something and not happy then your mind and body will feel bad along with life passing you by. A happy life is a healthy life!

Face the Facts and move on, but never give up hope!
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    My point is that a person shouldn't sit around and dwell on a cure that will fix them while letting the rest of their life pass by because their so focused on a cure being found. Like I stated in my original post, I hope there is a cure one day but until then I'm going to live my life to the fullest and enjoy it to the max cause you never know what tomorrow will bring. I also believe that your mindset has a lot to do with the life you live and that if your happy you will feel good, but if your dwelling on something and not happy then your mind and body will feel bad along with life passing you by. A happy life is a healthy life!

This is often down to the individual. For many it is about adapting and living life to the fullest whilst maintaining hope. But for some, living life to the fullest may involve in some way accomplishing achievements. And for a few, those achievements maybe advocating, lobbying, raising awareness or maybe even activism towards a Cure for paralysis. Why not? It's not a bad cause is it?

Let's support those that are willing to dedicate time to further the field, whether it is researchers, clinicians, fundraisers, advocates or activists.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    This is often down to the individual. For many it is about adapting and living life to the fullest whilst maintaining hope. But for some, living life to the fullest may involve in some way accomplishing achievements. And for a few, those achievements maybe advocating, lobbying, raising awareness or maybe even activism towards a Cure for paralysis. Why not? It's not a bad cause is it?

Let's support those that are willing to dedicate time to further the field, whether it is researchers, clinicians, fundraisers, advocates or activists.
    No it's not a bad cause and I support all the ppl that are working towards a cure, but I'm just saying that the one's that do nothing but wait for a cure are letting the rest of their lives pass by. Get out and enjoy life in case a cure doesn't come in your lifetime. I'd much rather be able to look back on my life and say that even though it was tough I made the best of it and had full and fun life than to know that I sat on my ass the entire time waiting on a cure that never came or didn't apply to me and missed out on a lot of things.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Do you honestly know anyone who sits around 24/7 doing nothing but waiting for a cure?

No it's not a bad cause and I support all the ppl that are working towards a cure, but I'm just saying that the one's that do nothing but wait for a cure are letting the rest of their lives pass by. Get out and enjoy life in case a cure doesn't come in your lifetime. I'd much rather be able to look back on my life and say that even though it was tough I made the best of it and had full and fun life than to know that I sat on my ass the entire time waiting on a cure that never came or didn't apply to me and missed out on a lot of things.

I know what you are saying but you are a para and you have to take quads into account. I am dependent on another person for everything. I can't feed myself or cath myself or transfer myself..... I wish I even had a life to let pass by... I live my life the best I can but I ALSO advocate and wait anxiously for a cure. It's possible to do both
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

While your advice, on getting on with life and avocating and supporting those that work on a cure is good in it's own right.

There are those that i would consider would find it difficult to enjoy life on their backs like superman was. So if your cappable of helping then you should as well as getting on with your life.

You should keep in mind before posting the above that we all have different degrees of injury, to cope with.

Therefore it would be rude for a T5 to tell a C1 "isnt life grand" while the only exictmment for the C1 is able to obtian is watching two fly's humping on the ceiling.
    cheers

Well, no, there's also a little excitement to be had from reading well-meaning yet incredibly insulting comments on the internet.

I mean, assuming the flies are taking a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Well, no, there's also a little excitement to be had from reading well-meaning yet incredibly insulting comments on the internet.

I mean, assuming the flies are taking a break.
    if i seem offensive you but i havent quite grasped your full meaning as i was not trying to be insulting to one particular

You have me a loss