Thread: Info on Neurogenic Bladders and Indwelling catheters?

Question Info on Neurogenic Bladders and Indwelling catheters?

Looking for some information on neurogenic bladders. I had to go to the ER due to the inability to urinate much. They put in an indwelling catheter. Went to the urologist and was told that it needs to stay in a week, then he will remove it and see if my bladder can function properly.
    The catheter is causing me discomfort and I am taking antibiotics for a UTI and ASO for pain. I have a leg bag and a night bag.
    Urologist mentioned the possibility of having to learn to self catheterize if my bladder does not empty fully.
    I have CP (cerebral palsy) and am not at all flexible.
    Can anyone give me some advice? I feel very overwhelmed right now and depressed.
    Thanks

Hi "Blakesma," and Welcome to the Care Cure Community. There is a lot of information on this forum about neurogenic bladder and people with Cerebral Palsy are members here. I searched "neurogenic bladder/cerebral palsy on the site and found these references you may want to take a look at.

http://www.google.com/search?q=neuro...ci.rutgers.edu

All the best,
    GJ

Thank You I am reading some of it now. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Have a great day!
    need a reliable way to earn money at home?
    http://www.moreholidaycash.com

Don't be depressed. Wait for the results and you might just have to do interittent cath 1-3 times a day and the urologist will work out a plan with you.And there are devices you might try. There is also a suprapubic tube if the indwelling cath hurt which goes in the lower part of your abdomen. but wait and see what he finds.
    CWO

Blog Entries
    The PVA has some excellent pamphlets available for free download. Here's a link to the page with the one on bladder management.

http://www.pva.org/site/apps/ka/ec/c...egoryID=322146
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

and kidney function is the main concern. let us know your urodynamics study results. And alot of exucation and support here for you!
    CWO

I too was afraid 3 years ago when I went through a similar ordeal. Long story short, I ended up going to a Supra Pubic catheter and have learned quickly how to live, work and play with it. It's not the end of the world. Get your urodynamics and other testing, and see if meds, self cathing, or indwelling or SP catheter use will work. This is a good forum to help you through some of this, along with you doc.

You may have a bladder that doesn't fully open at the external opening. A medication such that helps open the bladder opening such as Doxazosin, Finasteride should be tried first.

pbr
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-18-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: editing name