Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoyer Advance lift battery

You just need to match up the physical size, amp hours and connection tabs. I like places like Battery Mart because they are usually more specific about tab size. F1 tabs are 3/16" wide and F2 are 1/4" wide.

Some chargers are fussy about sealed lead acid (SLA) vs gel cell. You should replace with the same type for best battery life and performance.

If the spec sheet is correct, the Hoyer Advance has the more common and cheaper SLA. SLA is best for lifts (intermittent bursts of high current). Gel is better for power chairs. I must say 3.2 amp hour seems pretty small. How many lifts do you get before recharge?

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    A kind man from Joern's explained we should have kept it charged and used once in a while, but battery probably needed changing anyway.
    This is correct, lead acid batteries need to be kept fully charged, when you get your new battery stick it on charge straight away after each use, and every couple of weeks or so while its in storage and it'll last for years.

On a tangent, why on earth are companies still using lead acid?! Lithium would be such a better choice for these type of applications
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    ...On a tangent, why on earth are companies still using lead acid?! Lithium would be such a better choice for these type of applications
    Because they're cheaper and weight doesn't matter for mobility equipment. I have to say I'd rather pay the cost to replace a large SLA than a Lithium. And I don't think leaving Lithium batteries unused for months at a time does them any good either. My backup iPod has definitely lost capacity from sitting.

I ordered the one for $199.00. The waiver program will probably reimburse it that way if from a medical supply company.
    Now that we have a ceiling lift we don't use the hoyer often unless we go to the lake or the chair malfunctions in in another part of the house or lawn.
    (One fun adventure was in the garage while hung up on 3" ramp)
    It has never acted up before, but this was the longest it has sat. I will keep it charged at all times now.

The battery came today and looked exactly like the other one. Unbelievable what it cost and how not having it ruined this week-end we could have gone to the lake.