Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LADIES! How to Cath in Public? HELP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LADIES! How to Cath in Public? HELP!

I'm a t10 complete para. I cath every 4-6 hours. I cath myself. However, I can't cath in public unless my boyfriend helps me. When I cath, I have to place my legs in frog leg position. I also can't cath w/out a mirror. Trying to work around the 4-6 hr time frame is starting to become a hassle when I'm out of the house. Please help!!!

What does your boyfriend do for you? I made straps (cloth loops) that went around each leg to hold them in place. I hooked one end around the wheelchair handles and the other around a leg. I also used a disposable diaper because you can drain the tube right into it in front of your mirror. You really have to rock forward with your bottom on the very edge of the pillow.

You sit frog style with the bottoms of your feet together and the mirror in front of your shoes.
    Last edited by 47+years; 06-01-2012 at 01:12 PM.

mitrofanoff
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

I am T-10 complete also. I've been peeing on the toilet by transferring over, bending forward and pushing for 17 of the 18 years that I've been paralyzed. I have a nice cushioned toilet seat at home and transfer very carefully on to hard public toilets. Have you tried to sit on the toilet and push? I will cath if I am camping remotely or at someones house that is not wheelchair accessible (that's usually the case with most peoples bathrooms). Other than that I try to avoid using a catheter unless I absolutely have to. It might be worth a shot for you. I closely monitor how much I drink and the timing of my drinks. You have to pay close attention to your body until you get use to how it feels when your bladder is full. Hope this helps some.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

When I was IC I just did like so many others: scoot to front of cushion, frog legs with feet on the toilet. Only once lost my shoe in the bowl !! LOL Used mirror and cath into a bag or container. Now I use a leg bag all the time and as I have said before, has made my life so much easier. Before I was either cathing, thinking about cathing, scheduling around cathing. Geezz ! So much free-er now.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I am T-10 complete also. I've been peeing on the toilet by transferring over, bending forward and pushing for 17 of the 18 years that I've been paralyzed. I have a nice cushioned toilet seat at home and transfer very carefully on to hard public toilets. Have you tried to sit on the toilet and push? I will cath if I am camping remotely or at someones house that is not wheelchair accessible (that's usually the case with most peoples bathrooms). Other than that I try to avoid using a catheter unless I absolutely have to. It might be worth a shot for you. I closely monitor how much I drink and the timing of my drinks. You have to pay close attention to your body until you get use to how it feels when your bladder is full. Hope this helps some.
    Do you have yearly ultrasounds on your kidneys and bladder to make sure you aren't damaging them?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Do you have yearly ultrasounds on your kidneys and bladder to make sure you aren't damaging them?
    The last one was about 2 years ago. Everything looked good. He said routinly cathing has it's cons and so does pushing. Everything looked good so he said to keep doing what works for me. Cathing was not working with a fast paced full time career so I started experimenting with going on my own. It's quick and efficient. Someday I might look in to getting a mitro when things stop working correctly. Haven't had a UTI or kidney issues very often over these 17 years. I'm looking for a urologist in the DFW area to get another check up soon. Need one with a low table. Anyone have an suggestions in this area?
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

before i got my mitro, i'd take off my pants/undies, trandfer to the toilet, and then felt for my urethra and then inserted the catheter. takes practice but no loss of shoes nor crazy mirrors
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I use a closed kit made for women called Cathlean by MTG. Less crap to keep up with. Practicing not using a mirror saved me. I would practice in the shower so it wasnt a mess until I got it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

To offroaderswife: may I ask how and where you push? and how long it usually takes for you? Thank you