Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gardening

Gardening

Found this really neat idea for gardens.
    Straw bales would make it more accessible from a chair too!

www.strawbalegardens.com

Guess we shoulda planted some oats this spring....
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Looks great! I do square foot gardening on top of dock sections for most plants. Container garden for tomatoes and regular garden for potatoes. The youngest wanted a summer job, so she gets to weed, etc.

This is a cool idea. I've used 5 gallon buckets, before and since I've been hurt. Mainly to be able to control the soil and move stuff, because of rabbits and deer.

I thought it was really cool too! I have built raised beds for my husband but I'm thinking I might just try this next year, it would allow us to double the size of our garden much more simplier than trying to build another box. The 5 gallon buckets is a good idea too, do you add drain holes in the bottom?

Yes set the bucket up just like a flower pot. Couple holes for drainage, rocks or coffee filters over the holes to keep the dirt in. The first time I did the bucket thing was to grow carrots. They are so fussy about soil, it was easier to make it up in the bucket. I put them by the front door (east sun). Never got a carrot. My son would eat them as soon as he got off the school bus.
    I'm getting the bails tommorrow. Going to try some later crops. I figure the straw should even out the temperature.

Funny about the carrots. Let me know how the bails work for you.

I love this idea as my soil is lousy and my yard is very shady except for the very middle. I will have to discuss it with my neighbor who does my mowing and complains about everything new I put out that he has to mow around !Looks like would be much cheaper than building boxes and filling with dirt.

And if I read it correctly the bails will break down naturally due to the heat and moisture so you can use it as compost to help your lousy soil...