Thread: Have I got a UTI?

Unhappy Have I got a UTI?

I've had a catheter in now for almost two weeks and I won't be having it out until I have my urethra stretched which could be weeks or months yet so I have this catheter in for a very long time. Anyway, for the last few days, I have noticed that my urine is cloudy and smells absolutely foul. It is smelling through my catheter aswell so all I can small is bad urine, it's starting to make me feel sick, it's that awful. I am also passing blood clots and bits through the tube and I have a stinging pain at the top of my urethra or round that area.

I am also on my period, will this increase my chance of having an infection? My doctors appointment isn't until a weeks time so I thought I would ask for some advice.

It is possible yes, I would contact your physician due to the only way to be absolutely certain would be a culture. If you do have one--don't delay and get antibiotics if your physician feels it's necessary.

Go ahead and call the doctor's office and ask to speak to the nurse, if they are unavailable many have voicemails and will call you back after consulting with the PA or physician.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Sounds like a uti to me

I agree that it sounds like a uti. Had a similar experience. My urine was strong smelling and I had white bits and small blood clots comming out. I called the uro office and they told me I didn't have a infection and that what I had was normal.
    The next day I started have bladder spasms that kept getting worse till it turned in to one continuos spasm. Three hours later I was in the er getting a irrigation. My foley was plugged shut with infection. As soon as they irrigated and stuff started draining out the spasm stopped. It was some foul stuff, looked like cottage cheese.
    They put me on antibiotics. A week later I went to a SCI hospital, the doc there said I was on the wrong antibiotic for what I had. He said he didn't like to use antibiotics until more serious symtems showed (fever, etc.) He said let the body fight it, he was right. I would agree that you need to contact someone right away, those spasms are
    not fun. (sorry for the poor spelling)

Treat symptomatic uti. fever? spasms? maybe you can submit urine and they will test it.
    cwo