Thread: Where do bacteria come from?

Where do bacteria come from?

In an attempt to try and prevent my recurrent urine infections, I'm trying to work out where the bacteria come from......

If I'm super hygienic, which I am, I'm assuming they can't hike from my anus, up my urethra.....I'll cross that one offf

My suprapubic site is also kept clean so I'm assumming they don't get in there.....

I'm aware that I'm colonised, but when I take antibiotics (C&S done), I feel better but then 2 months later I'm unwell, again. Are the bacteria naturally in my pee and are just able to breed because of the in-dwelling catheter? I've asked my urologist if I can take a strong antibiotic for longer to kill everything, kind of giving me a clean slate to work with. He said this won't work as I will recolonise immediately. I asked him where this bacteria would come from and he didn't know.

Vetericyn has not worked for me. No stones.

I'm living from one infection to the next. I just would like to know where the bacteria are coming from.

TIA

With an indwelling tube- known for frequent infections- yes they can march up your urethra- from skin, air wherever. there will be organisms but with colonization you should not have symptoms.
    So when cleared very easily reinfected in 2 months.
    CWO

Tayberry-

I'm in a similar situation. I might go several months with no infections, then I get one every month or two for quite a while. I'm currently in that cycle right now and it's not fun.

One recent culture came back positive for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia, so my PCP referred me to an infectious disease doc. That doc did a repeat C&S and it came back negative for the SM bacteria (yay, but how??) and positive for yeast this week. So she put me on an anti-fungal for 10 days. My urine is already cleared up quite a bit after being on the pills for 3 days.

I just had a bladder scan today for stones, and it was negative. So I don't understand where my UTIs keep coming from either

Good luck to you!

I have posted on this once before. I have a indwelling catheter since 2002. I was getting infections every month or two for years. I figured out by flushing the bladder two to three times a day I stopped getting infections. I had one infection in the past 12 months. You would be surprised by how well this works.

Quote Originally Posted by retto76 View Post
    Tayberry-

I'm in a similar situation. I might go several months with no infections, then I get one every month or two for quite a while. I'm currently in that cycle right now and it's not fun.

One recent culture came back positive for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia, so my PCP referred me to an infectious disease doc. That doc did a repeat C&S and it came back negative for the SM bacteria (yay, but how??) and positive for yeast this week. So she put me on an anti-fungal for 10 days. My urine is already cleared up quite a bit after being on the pills for 3 days.

I just had a bladder scan today for stones, and it was negative. So I don't understand where my UTIs keep coming from either

Good luck to you!

I totally feel for you - maybe give the vetericyn a go and see if it works for you. Let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    I have posted on this once before. I have a indwelling catheter since 2002. I was getting infections every month or two for years. I figured out by flushing the bladder two to three times a day I stopped getting infections. I had one infection in the past 12 months. You would be surprised by how well this works.
    What were you flushing with?

Hi I use Renacidin
    And pure Sterile H2o

so far been pretty lucky

I never tried the vetericyn

Quote Originally Posted by Tayberry View Post
    I totally feel for you - maybe give the vetericyn a go and see if it works for you. Let us know how you get on.

What were you flushing with?
    Sodium chloride. You need to keep that sediment stuff out of your bladder. And drinking a ton is not doing it because it sticks to the walls of the bladder.