Thread: L-3 Fracture

L-3 Fracture

Dear Dr. Young,

My brother suffered an L-3 fracture 18 months ago in a motorcycle accident. The surgeons were able to put him in alignment, remove bone fragments and stabilized his spine with a spacer(?) and 8 titanium screws above and below the injury. They performed a laminectomy and repaired both the CSF leak and the shredded dura mater. The surgeon told us he suffered injury to the cauda equina but most of the nerves were in tact.

His ability to walk is limited with the help of leg braces and a walker. He has no feeling in his feet. My question is can the nerves of the cauda equina regenerate? Do they have clinical trials for such an injury?

I was reading about your research and clinical trials using umbilical cord blood cell transplants and lithium. Hypothetically, would this work in the same way for lower spine injuries? Or would this not relate since it's the nerve roots and not the spinal cord?

Thank you for your time. Your research gives us all hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Leenie818 View Post
    Dear Dr. Young,

My brother suffered an L-3 fracture 18 months ago in a motorcycle accident. The surgeons were able to put him in alignment, remove bone fragments and stabilized his spine with a spacer(?) and 8 titanium screws above and below the injury. They performed a laminectomy and repaired both the CSF leak and the shredded dura mater. The surgeon told us he suffered injury to the cauda equina but most of the nerves were in tact.

His ability to walk is limited with the help of leg braces and a walker. He has no feeling in his feet. My question is can the nerves of the cauda equina regenerate? Do they have clinical trials for such an injury?

I was reading about your research and clinical trials using umbilical cord blood cell transplants and lithium. Hypothetically, would this work in the same way for lower spine injuries? Or would this not relate since it's the nerve roots and not the spinal cord?

Thank you for your time. Your research gives us all hope.
    Leenie, thank you for posting. I had earlier posted the answer to your question... http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=188781

Wise.

Propreception, that word i read it in your post to Leenie Dr Young. I got TM 3 years ago in lower thoratic i got most all back bowels are sluggish bladder good, but i have no ankels S1 i have to use afo + i walk with a walker ifeel my feet up to my toes. i keep thinking i will get more balance could it be propreception . thankyou .

Quote Originally Posted by TM from PA View Post
    Propreception, that word i read it in your post to Leenie Dr Young. I got TM 3 years ago in lower thoratic i got most all back bowels are sluggish bladder good, but i have no ankels S1 i have to use afo + i walk with a walker ifeel my feet up to my toes. i keep thinking i will get more balance could it be propreception . thankyou .
    Proprioception is the word. Proprioception is important for balance. Wise.

Thankyou Dr. young, How can we get propreception? sometimes after working out i get solid feelings in feet + legs + after walking on the treadmill its there then i think whats that feeling. does any one here know propreception if they are walker or crutch walkers. thanks