Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >4"dump - advantages and disadvantages?

Hi toto I agree with you

I just got my new cushion which is like Night / Day
    IMOP everyone has their own preferences and if my old Sales rep spent a week in my chair prior to my own setup preferences and all
    She would have had some super serious Hemmroids .

BTW how is the weather ?

Have a good Sunday

Sincerely ;
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Sit on a chair with 5" dump and 16" seat depth for a week and after seat in a chair with the same dump and depth seat but with an ergo seat, after that, maybe you could see any benefits.
    You say that like somebody who has used that configuration personally--which I highly doubt to be the case.

5" of dump on a 16" deep seat is not something I would use personally nor is it something I would be likely to spec for anyone else. 5" of seat dump on a standard frame will require the user to sit with excessive hip flexion and puts a fair amount of internal stress on the hips.

I'd be concerned about an increased risk of developing hip flexion contractures. I've also seen a few users who used similar dump and others who tended to habitually lean forward with their forearms on their thighs develop a subluxation of their femoral head. I have no scientific proof that chronic sitting in extreme hip flexion causes subluxation of the femoral head, but it seems to be a common denominator in the people I know that have developed it.

5" of dump in an ergo frame would take some of that stress off the pelvis, but there are better ways to provide good pelvic positioning and postural support. That ergo bend limits what type of cushion can be used, and the better positioning cushions are not compatible with an ergo frame. Less dump and a good positioning cushion will trump extreme dump or extreme dump with an ergo frame every time.

For purposes of this discussion, I consider anything in excess of 4.5" with a 16" seat depth to be extreme dump.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    5" of dump on a 16" deep seat is not something I would use personally nor is it something I would be likely to spec for anyone else. .
    I just told that like an example, yes is an extreme position, but probably for a quad girl or a short boy could work with a behinged cog.

Just different thoughts about ergo seat, but imo a ergo seat for chairs with much dump is better.
    Something is sure, is not going to be damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hi toto I agree with you

BTW how is the weather ?

Have a good Sunday

Sincerely ;
    GL
    The weather excellent, special for do rides with the handbike through the beach road.
    Last edited by totoL1; 06-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Do you have picture to show how you do it?
    Not currently, but I'll take some to post - it may be a few days yet, though.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Do you have picture to show how you do it?
    my home-made ergo seat:
    Attachment 45197

More pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    my home-made ergo seat:
    Attachment 45197

More pics:
    good idea, how is it work? Improve a lot ?

Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    my home-made ergo seat:
    Attachment 45197

More pics:
    But like that you have now much less dump

Off topic, what's that sign on the back of your chair Chas?

good idea, how is it work? Improve a lot ?
    I don't notice much difference - still trying it out. Soon I'll quit using it for awhile to see if it has made a difference. Remember I use my chair only away from home, and lately I haven't been out much (MS fatigue), so I don't have many hours in it yet.

Also, I'll try to get some pics of me in the chair with & without the ergo to see what my posture is like.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    But like that you have now much less dump
    I adjusted my RSH to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pg2005 View Post
    Off topic, what's that sign on the back of your chair Chas?
    Attachment 45200

It works!! And I have gotten only positive comments about it. Here is the thread explaining the sign.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 06-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>