Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >4"dump - advantages and disadvantages?

>4"dump - advantages and disadvantages?

hello all,
    im researching what i want in my new chair. i currently have a tilite tr with 3" dump. for the past few days ive gone around with a cushion stuck under my knees, increasing my dump to probably over 5". (i have full sensation and movement, so im not too concerned with pressure.) i found immediate and pronounced improvement to my balance, muscle usage and range, etc. but are there other, possibly long term disadvantages to this positioning? for example, something like will the pelvic tilt put pressure on my bladder or pelvic floor?
    tia, amy

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    hello all,
    im researching what i want in my new chair. i currently have a tilite tr with 3" dump. for the past few days ive gone around with a cushion stuck under my knees, increasing my dump to probably over 5". (i have full sensation and movement, so im not too concerned with pressure.) i found immediate and pronounced improvement to my balance, muscle usage and range, etc. but are there other, possibly long term disadvantages to this positioning? for example, something like will the pelvic tilt put pressure on my bladder or pelvic floor?
    tia, amy
    I have no idea Amy. But can you take a pic what 5 inches of dump looks like (if you don't mind - no worries if you do.) I have 2.5 but may go 3 on my new chair.

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    hello all,
    tia, amy
    For 4" dump or more go for an ergo seat, that will make differences, remember having more dump will need to get behind you cog.

I have 5 inches of dump in my chair for the very same reasons you noted...my balance is greatly improved, and it decreases my stomach spasms quite a bit. While I can handle a smaller amount (and actually do in my basketball chair) I have found my everyday wheeling has become much more tolerable.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I think another alternate choice of ergo seat is a good contour design cushion.

For example, my frame dump is 1", since I am sitting on Jaylite cushion with nicely design contour, and actually I have 3" dump.

The Jaylite cushion has a harder front to hold and raise the tight, also a soft contour to hold my bottom. This create some kind of ergo seat.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

I have 3" of dump, and made an ergo seat wedge out of scrap plywood and lumber (<$2) just to see how the concept works. (I have a solid seat pan.) I don't notice much difference, but I bet it would make a noticeable difference at 5". I have used it for several months now, and (even though I don't seem to notice much difference) I continue to use it. It's comfortable.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I have 3" of dump, and made an ergo seat wedge out of scrap plywood and lumber (<$2) just to see how the concept works. (I have a solid seat pan.) I don't notice much difference, but I bet it would make a noticeable difference at 5". I have used it for several months now, and (even though I don't seem to notice much difference) I continue to use it. It's comfortable.
    Do you have picture to show how you do it?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Hi Sowseng I have pretty much same chair as you
    I use about 3 - 4 inches Dump , I do my own adjustments because of my styles of wheels I use etc... Synergy or my 24 hand nub styles ... It depends in my case
    Camber I have it set at 3 degrees
    My cushion is a Synergy Gel I just got ...

Maybe soon i'll post a side picture of my setup

All the time my friends see me rolling on my wheelie it is a fun ol habit lol

As for traditional dump, I always thought your seat depth was kind of long and could be a sign that you might be using posterior pelvic tilt for stability.

It is hard to define dump in terms of strictly inches since seat depth also plays a role. For example, 5" of dump with a 19" deep seat will be less extreme than 5" of dump on a 16" deep seat.

What needs to be determined is the optimal seat angle (i.e. seat slope) determining your seat angle.I think that concept is important in your case because you may require less seat depth if the additional dump improved your posture and reduced how much posterior pelvic tilt you needed for stability.

I have found that a seat angle between 12-15 degrees combined with a back angle of 92-96 degrees works fairly well for people who function at a level of around T5 or above. That is roughly 4" on a 16" deep seat.

So, how does one translate inches of dump into the effective seat angle (in degrees) at a given seat depth?

One of the founding fathers of custom rigid frame specification theory, Greek philosopher, and long time friend of CareCure, Pythagoras has a theorem named after him that is particularly helpful.

The following link can eliminate having to do the math...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

Side a: Seat Dump
    Side b: Seat Depth
    Angle A: Seat angle

I'm still unconvinced as to the benefits of an ergo seat (and yes toto, I read the info you posted several months ago).

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I'm still unconvinced as to the benefits of an ergo seat (and yes toto, I read the info you posted several months ago).

Sit on a chair with 5" dump and 16" seat depth for a week and after seat in a chair with the same dump and depth seat but with an ergo seat, after that, maybe you could see any benefits.