Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back on the Bike!!

MORE!!! Had a trackday at Snetterton Race Circuit last week, a 2-day trackday.. The track is a work of art, 2 long-ish straights, and a lot of twisties. I think it's just over 3 Miles long. Was hitting speeds of around 140MPH on the straights, and that's on a lowly 600! There is a massive right hand bend, 2nd to last, where you can overtake loads of people if you trust your tyres.. just lean further, more throttle... Then straighten up, brake hard, (release brakes) and lean right over left for a 90* bend onto the grid straight. What a rush!!!

I started off in the Novice group, and spent the entire day working with an instructor (who gives his time for free to the bike exp charity).. Lets just say I wasn't very good to start with, and by the end of the first day I was the fastest guy in the novice group, so the second day I was in with the Intermediates and holding my own! Started getting tired and making mistakes, went grass tracking a couple of times and decided to call it a day. I didn't realise how exhausted I was until the adrenaline wore off!

Attachment 45486

Attachment 45487

Attachment 45488

Attachment 45489

Attachment 45490

The new track tyres are incredible, I didn't think too much of them at first, but as soon as they get up to temperature and you start really going for it they stick like glue! Nicely beaded up right to the edges! I used 15 Gallons of fuel over the 2 days, don't think my average MPG was very good!!

The best part was on the second day when I was getting better, I put a big Disabled sticker on the back of the bike just to upset everyone getting overtaken!! haha! Had a few people finding us in the garage to ask a few questions, was really good. Think it was a bit of an eye opener for a lot of people!
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Ohh, our Garage got a visit from mr Kieth Flint from The Prodigy too! Really cool guy and decent rider.

Attachment 45492

This is fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing this!
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

No problem, hopefully it will inspire more people to try it again. It's something I certainly never thought I could do again!

I am so jealous of you guys over there because nothing like that exists here in the US. At least if it does I have yet to find it.

Hey SuperSi, we happen to share alot. I lived in Soton for 7 years, bought my first motorcycle there. Did a trackday at Donnington (and crashed). Loved riding all the roads around the South Downs....loved it.
    Anyway, then I moved to the US, got into motorcycle racing, even raced with Neil Hodgson when he was over here until I crashed in 2007. I got back on the track too, very similar......relied on people catching me lol.

Anyway, this was my experience:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=153862

And I am planning on another trackday later this year (when it cools the fock down).

So keep up the good work and keep posting your pics - you look good on that trumpet!

Mark

Awesome, if you're ever this side of the pond you should drop by

I havn't done Donnington yet but it looks great. I'm doing Mallory Park next week with a few mates so that should be interesting, it'll be the first time they've ridden with me since the crash and I'm a much better rider now so hopefully will surprise them!

Your 748 is fking lovely mate, looks like you had a great time!

Cheers,
    Si

Nautical mike - the adaptions are pretty simple and easy to get on with, if you've got a group of friends to help you'd be able to do it no prob. Buy an old cheap bike and get it set up, have a go in a carpark at night or something to try it out and when you're happy contact a track and get an instructor to spend a few sessions with you and there'l be no stopping ya!
    Last edited by SuprSi; 08-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    Awesome, if you're ever this side of the pond you should drop by

I havn't done Donnington yet but it looks great. I'm doing Mallory Park next week with a few mates so that should be interesting, it'll be the first time they've ridden with me since the crash and I'm a much better rider now so hopefully will surprise them!

Your 748 is fking lovely mate, looks like you had a great time!

Cheers,
    Si

Nautical mike - the adaptions are pretty simple and easy to get on with, if you've got a group of friends to help you'd be able to do it no prob. Buy an old cheap bike and get it set up, have a go in a carpark at night or something to try it out and when you're happy contact a track and get an instructor to spend a few sessions with you and there'l be no stopping ya!
    I actually already adapted my bike with shifter and dual lever brakes, but when I went riding I had problems with stopping and ended up where I am now with a broken hip.

Smile Awesome

Hi Gang Awesome pics and I have utmost mutual respect for my fellow bike lovers/ riders both Brothers / Sisters here . yeppers thats me not too long after the incident behind the hog ...

I too got back into motorcycles 8 months after my Freak accident

The first thing I did was build a custom trike

Still have my old Twin all these yrs The old machine I nearly died on !!! She's still 2 wheels Gonna be making her a trike , Fatbob Tank and just some custom Frame , control mods ,,,, I am her original owner bought her in 81 boy time flies ......tomorrow i'll go put fresh gas in her and fire up ,,gosh it has been nearly 3 yrs since I fired it up ..

As I do custom motorcycle building it is part of me , my life it's in my blood
    I have my own moitorcycle shop which keeps me motivated .

Glad you had great time Riding
    Nothing like that initial rush

This is one of my favorite threads / areas here @ CC
    Nauticalmike hugs to you keep smiling . Feel free to pm me if you like to talk custom ideas etc....
    Sincerely ;
    GL

Hi GL, have you started the trike conversion yet? I know exactly what you mean about it being in your blood, I can't get enough of bikes!

Righto, update time! My new track toy is a 2002 R1, these pics are the first day riding it at Snetterton circuit in norfolk. Excuse the blue bike/red leathers thing, I didn't have time to get the track fairings on.. I'm doing it in a Matt black/red scheme.

Attachment 47235

Attachment 47236

Attachment 47237

Attachment 47238

Attachment 47239

You have to do two compulsory sighting laps on the first session, so I went out on my first thou, on dry track tyres, on a very wet, very cold track.. scary!! Came back in and waited for the next session, was still pretty damp but used it to get used to the bike a bit more. Last session before lunch was good fun, started to get some heat in the tyres and confidence in the corners. Last couple of sessions before the end of the day were epic, that bike is more nimble that my Triumph, and a hell of a lot faster! I had an instructor on a green zx10r chasing me, he was quick in the corners because he had wet tyres on, but I was leaving him in the dust when I pinned the throttle on the straights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUfihWVSVpg

watch from 2:30, the marshals were letting me out first and the guy filming is riding a GSXR 750